Keep controller lane's heights in key editor window for all tracks

Hi. Is there a way to keep the controller lanes in the key editor to the same height as they were set the last time this window was used? Every time I go to a different midi track and open the key editor in a separate window again, the controller lanes are back to their default tiny height. It’s nearly impossible to work with detail at such a narrow height view for these controller lanes.

The lane’s heights are only kept while going back and forth from project window to key editor window while working on the same track. I’m really going nuts trying to find a way to keep those lanes views consistent every time I open the key editor for any midi track, otherwise is a huge amount of time wasted adjusting the height every time again.
Thanks!
Working with Cubase 10.5 on Windows

Hi and welcome,

The Key Editor is implemented so, it remembers its settings MIDI Part-based. So you can have a specific settings for every single MIDI Part. This is very useful, if you want to see different CCs for every single Part/Track. What is quite common, because you want to see different set of CCs for Strings and different set for Piano or Synth.

To answer your question, Cubase is designed this way. But you can Save and load Controller Lanes Presets.

OK thanks Martin. Yes, the key editor remembers which CCs lanes I have set for each MIDI part on my system. But it does not remembers the heights that I have set these CCs lanes to when dragging the horizontal lines that divides them. It only remembers those heights if I stay with the same MIDI track while going back and forth between key editor and project window. If I move to a different MIDI track, and then go back to the same track I was working before, the previously adjusted lanes heights are back to the very narrow height they always have by default. Is there a way to keep the lanes sizes without controller lane presets?

Hi,

On my side, the Key Editor remembers even the heights of the Controller Lanes area.

Hi,
It used to behave like that on my previous versions of Cubase, remembering those CCs lanes heights, but is not now. Always back to the narrow default heights when switching MIDI tracks on 10.5 version. I don’t see you can set that as a preference either. Is really costing me a lot of time. Can’t find a solution yet.

Thanks

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

OK, I did that and then it works fine. CCs lane’s heights are remembered no matter if I switch MIDI tracks. What should I do to make it work properly in normal mode then? Is there a specific preference I should take care of?

Thanks!

Hi,

Unfortunately it’s hard to point to a specific preferences file. I would recommend just to Delete your Cubase 11 preferences (from the Safe Start dialog).

Hi,
Now I realize how this CCs lanes behave. When the lower zone in the Project Window is activated with the key editor below, the lanes heights always go back to the maximum size they can fit in the key’s editor lower zone, that is obviously pretty narrow. It doesn’t matter if I’m opening the key editor in a separate window and adjusting lanes heights there. As long as the key editor it’s open on the lower zone, the CCs lane’s heights snap back to the small heights they have there, only allowing one lane to be slightly bigger than the others. And that behavior is mirrored in the separate key editor window as long as the lower zone is open. So the only way to keep the lanes heights as they were previously adjusted, is to keep the lower zone closed in the Project Window.

I understand this behavior makes sense to keep things cohesive when using the lower zone, but would be nice to have the option to “unlink” the views between CCs lanes for the key editor in the lower zone, and as a separate window editor, while having the lower zone opened.

Thanks!

Have the same problems, it would be necessary to unlink lower zone key editor from window key editor. It is not OK when I have fir example 3 different lanes of CC in window that they also open all in lower zone version. There is not enough height for more than 1 normally. There must come some lock-unlock option for lower zone. Like it is now it makes me really mad.

Hi,

Click to the Open in Separate Window button, please. Or set the preferences so the Separate Window is the default option:
Preferences > Editors > Double-click opens Editor in Window

@Martin.Jirsak This is not really true. The height of the CC Lane is also dependent on the Workspace. When I select a height for a specific part, and switch workspace, it will revert to what was saved with that workspace for that midi part/track.

Using workspaces, that would mean that everytime you want to change a setting for a midi track, you would also have to re-save the workspace. At that point, this is no longer a design choice that benefit the user.

Either lane settings should be saved by workspace OR by track settings, not both at the same time, it’s just a mess.

Yes this is annoying. Each time lanes are closed then re-opened, they are a small height by default and almost always require track zooming to inspect them comfortably.