Key command for 'create end repeat sign'?

Sorry, but I’ve been unable to find this anywhere. Is there one?

Thanks!

Not exactly. Shift-B (which opens the bars and barlines popover) followed by : | Enter. That’s colon followed by the pipe character. Alternatively Shift-B end Enter.

See the popover documentation: https://steinberg.help/dorico/v3/extra/dorico-3.5.10-popovers.pdf

Thanks!

Is there no key command for “repeat structure(s)” (eg, 1st/2nd endings)? (Unable to find it anywhere)

A. The Key Commands dialog has a search function. Do use it.

B. Given there are hundreds of assignable commands, the popovers are generally the preferable way to go. It’s much easier to remember that Shift-R is the repeat popover and “ending” or “end” is what you’re trying to input than to remember that Ctrl-Alt-Numpad-6 is something you assigned for adding repeat endings. The popover documentation does list repeat endings under the repeats section.

One particularly nice thing, incidentally, is that if you select a passage and tell Dorico to add a repeat ending, it will simultaneously add two repeat ending brackets either side of a repeat barline in one fell swoop. No need to input them separately.

Most notations in Dorico can be input using a popover or alternatively the corresponding panel. If you want instructions for inputting things, search the manual as the entries are consistently formatted for all sorts of notations; here are the steps for inputting repeat endings, or indeed a screenshot-peppered specific example here.

The popover reference for the repeats popover is here. Other pages for the other popovers are similarly named (“X popover”).

There are a lot of keywords embedded in the manual too, so it should handle a variety of search terms fairly well.

Thanks, pianoleo.

if you select a passage and tell Dorico to add a repeat ending, it will simultaneously add two repeat ending brackets either side of a repeat barline in one fell swoop. No need to input them separately.

Very cool.

Re. both the key command search function, and the popover list: I had looked in both places, but couldn’t (and still can’t) find any existing key commands for these.

For things that can be added via popover - and repeat endings and repeat barlines are both things that can be added via popover - there generally aren’t direct shortcuts defined by default. If you’re lucky, the functions exist in the Key Commands list for you to assign your own shortcut. Don’t expect existing key commands to be defined, though.

For that matter, with a bit of backdoor JSON hackery it’s possible to define shortcuts for things that don’t exist in the Preferences > Key Commands dialog (see Dorico 3 - Keyboard shortcuts for microtonal accidentals? - #5 by pianoleo for instance). If you’re new to Dorico, though, try to get to grips with the popovers. They’re generally quick enough for most things.

Thanks, Lillie these certainly do answer my searches, but all I can say is that I had been unable to find these while looking for them on my own – and I had tried many keywords, and different places (popover list, Edit/Preferences/Key Commands, the Operation Manual, etc).

I’m very happy to do these things via popovers – the problem, for me, is trying to guess which keywords to use to obtain the desired results. In retrospect, “end” is a logical keyword to use to input an “end repeat”, but it hadn’t occured to me. “r”, “repeat”, and “repeat bar” were my first choices.