[KEY COMMAND] Show part borders

I use a macro for this that includes:
Open Key Editor
Zoom Out
Zoom Out
Zoom In
Zoom In
Zoom To Selection

This centres the cursor. But you could always add a few ‘Nudge Cursor Left’ in the mix to get it where you want it.

Keycommand for ‘close all racks’ in mixconsole. You can use keycommands to open/close eq, sends, inserts, channel strip, etc. but no way to close them all at once. So no easy way to make a macro to open a rack of your choice.

I use a macro for this that includes:

Mixer- Expand Channel Strip
Mixer- Expand EQs
Mixer- Expand Inserts
Mixer- Expand Sends
Mixer- Expand Routing
Mixer- Show/Hide Channel Racks

Yup but that requires you to keep the rack headers open and that takes up screen real estate. My way is cleaner, but I must first close an open rack before opening another for a clean look requiring two button presses. With my requested keycommand you could change them in one press. Or you can open a set of them such as inserts and sends together in one key press.

Basically, Steinberg needs to replace every Show/Hide, On/Off and Activate/Deactivate KC with seperate commands. :wink:
When we use a macro we want a condition to exist regardless of what state or condition existed prior to the macro.

Woah, I think “replacing every” toggle with separate on/off key commands is ignoring the instances where a toggle is prefered. You probably didn’t mean “replacing every” and instead meant “add on/off commands in addition to toggles,” but in case you did, let me remind you that there are a few use cases here that all need some accounting for:

1. “I want a single key command to toggle on/off when I’m working in a project” (most common - I’d say this is probably 90% of the use cases for something like snap). Also, think of it this way, most users would view two key commands for Snap On and Snap Off as wasteful compared to a single toggle. If everything worked that way by default, we’d have fewer available key commands because we’d have to double all the toggles, memorize two key commands, etc.

2. “I’m programing a macro and it depends on the state of a feature being on or off, so I want specific, seperate on/off key commands to make the macro work regardless of current state” (good use-case). For the subset of users that extensively use macros, not having separate on and off commands can be a big deal. Makes sense to add these.

3. “I’m working in my project and a toggle doesn’t cut it because I can’t keep track of the current state so I want separate on/off key commands and all users should be forced to work the way I do” (certainlythe least common). Sure, there may be a few users requesting a separate Snap On/Off for use outside of macros, but I think this is the exception and not the rule. If J to toggle Snap were replaced with J to turn it on and Shift+J to turn it off, for example, that’s going to 1) force a huge change to existing workflows, while being 2) less efficient and more wasteful (2 separate key commands vs 1) while 3) decreasing ease of use and 4) being outside of the norms of other DAWs.

Now, if you “add separate on/off key commands in addition to toggles” you can allow users to account for all 3 use-cases as they see fit. If you “replace toggles with separate on/off key commands” you don’t account for #1 at all and actually make the product worse.

So I think we can all agree we don’t want to replace every toggle.

Steinberg needs to provide a way for us to replace every Show/Hide, On/Off and Activate/Deactivate KC with seperate commands. :wink:

Would like to see a Key Command for “Pre Roll only when Record”… great for voice over. (this would also good in prefs with a checkbox !)

The point is not to change the cursor position. The point is to position the view so that most of what you see is to the right of the cursor. We rarely edit things to the left of the cursor because hitting play does not audition the edits. Thus, positioning the cursor ~20% distance from the left margin provides a useful ~80% of the view in the “editable” region.

FTFY. :wink:

Agreed.

“The one person = one (or another specific number of) vote(s)” makes sense when voting, not when collecting ideas. The more ideas, the merrier (including those who think otherwise of course). J Buckingham is obviously inspired and knows his Key Commands so let the man speak his heart!

Here are some wishes:

Key Command to enter directly the TEXT (lyrics of a note) dialog slot
Key Command to enter directly the NAME (of a part) dialog slot
Key command to move tracks up and down
Key Command to put at track in first place/last place of all tracks
Key Command Show/Hide Part Borders
Key Command “Glue Selected” without the need to aim with a tool
Key Command Show/Hide History (by Toggle!)
Key Command Reload Track Preset (when a huge template goes crazy so I can chain these in a macro and not lose precious minutes each time)
Key Command Turn Tracks into Lanes of a Single Track
Key Command Duplicate Lane

And since Key Commands, Macros and Logical Editors are closely connected, I’ll go even further back:

[Key Command] switch acoustic feedback in editor on/off (“the speaker symbol”)

shorcuts to open “Extension” editors…

[Key Command]
Note Expression MIDI input On
Note Expression MIDI input Off

Hi Matthias did any of these keycommands we asked for got in C11?

Thanks!