Key editor and workspaces

I have created a workspace in Cubase 10.5 which has the main window on monitor 1 and the key editor & mixer on monitor 2. However, selecting something on a midi track so that it is displayed in the key editor, then deleting it (in the main window) causes the key editor window to close.

This is not ideal as I then have to either reopen the key editor window from the menu or reselect the workspace - is there a setting somewhere which will enable the key editor window to remain open at all times (in accordance with the current workspace)?

Hi,

This is how Cubase behaves. The Key Editor is representation of the MIDI Event. If you delete the MIDI Event, there is nothing to show, so the Key Editor closes.

Apologies for resurrecting an old post, but this behaviour continues to be extremely irritating.

If I open the Key Editor via the MIDI menu, it opens with an ‘empty’ window. Since it opens in this state, I don’t understand why it can’t remain open (regardless of whether it has any contents) until I manually close it? Having to repeatedly [re]open the window every time I delete an event (or undo a recording take) becomes very tedious very quickly - particularly as 90% of my work in Cubase is MIDI-based.

The fact that this is how Cubase still behaves in version 12 is disappointing - being able to create/save workspaces is rendered useless if the program changes them whenever it feels like it.

Is there any possibility that the devs might consider altering this behaviour in a future release?

That’s not how it works for me.

If no MIDI Parts are selected in the Project Window then all the MIDI> Open XYZ Editor items are greyed out & unavailable.

This is on a PC, perhaps you are on a Mac?

Are you sure you do not have a blank part focused on a track in the Project Page? In order for the Key Edit Window to open, I believe you need to create a part…even a blank part, then double click to open the Key Edit window.

Simply focusing a midi track in the Project page without focusing a part will not cause the Key Editor Window to open. This can be verified by looking at the greyed out functions in the Midi menu.

Hi both - thank you for taking the time to respond - I should have said that I’m on PC (12.0.30).

If I create an empty project, then all the MIDI “Open xxxx” menu items are indeed greyed out. But
if I open a saved project containing MIDI tracks/events then all the menu items are enabled and I can open any of the editors without the need to select anything beforehand (in which case they open ‘empty’ as previously said).

I have now set it up to open in a window (rather than the lower pane) when I double-click an MIDI events, so - even though the window will continue to close itself - that will have to do (thankfully Cubase remembers/restores the window position every time, which makes it less of an issue).

However my point about workspaces remains: surely the whole reason of having them is to negate the need for users having to repeatedly open windows to create the layout they want?

I have been (and still am) a massive fan of Cubase since my Atari ST days and have been very fortunate in only having a few serious issues over the years. I realise that my having an issue with this behaviour puts me in the minority - but the resulting ‘hole’ in my workspace (caused by the exposed desktop - I have a dual monitor setup with the Key Editor occupying the top 2/3 of the 2nd monitor [and the mixer the bottom 1/3]) becomes surprisingly irritating after a while!

That is totally not how it works for me - or has ever worked. Maybe there is a Preference Setting?
Could you post a screenshot of the empty editor opened.

In order to open the key editor via the MIDI menu, no MIDI part has to be selected. It is sufficient if a track is selected that contains at least one MIDI part.

1 Like

Wow, never knew about that. Could prove useful.

However in your screenshot, and also when I just tried, it doesn’t open an empty editor, it opens the Part that’s on the Track. Maybe that’s what’s happening in the OP but the Window is not at the right spot along the timeline to see the Part?

I need to look at this tomorrow

What happens if that Bass track has several parts?

If you select a track that contains multiple parts on the same track, how does the Key Editor show the part you wish to see without it be focused? Or does the Key Editor show all parts like they are all glued together?

It is exactly like that. If no or an empty MIDI track is selected in the project window, the menu items are grayed out

Then it looks like this after opening the key editor via the menu:

So just as if the editor is opened when both parts are selected:

2 Likes

Actually - it looks like you’re correct here and I’m wrong. I was fooled by the fact that the window ‘looks’ empty, but having checked again today there IS MIDI data located beyond the right-hand side of the Key Editor window (and therefore not visible - hence my mistaken assumption that it had opened ‘empty’).

Apologies.

1 Like

Wow! You are absolutely right. All these years, even the past few with Metagrid, I have always thought a part needs to be focused.

If you thought the same, I wonder if there was a change somewhere along the way?

I learn something new all the time.

@P.A.T do you recall what the version of Cubase was when you first knew about this?

I’m sorry, I don’t know … Especially since I always select a MIDI part first before opening the key editor.