Key Editor curve type always switching to "Step Mode"

In the Key Editor, the curve type for expression, modulation, etc. is always switching to Step Mode rather than keeping Ramp/Curve as default.

It’s the same when I try to draw a new point : it sometimes draw that point as a Step Mode Point.

1 Like

Hi and welcome in the forum,

The ramp mode had been implemented for the Key Editor only. It had not been implemented for the Note Expression Editor.

Hi Martin !
I meant Key Editor, sorry…

Hi!

What do you mean by Expression Modulation, please?

I mean the different lanes in the Key Editor where we can write for example modulation or expression in a instrument track container. Here I have a bug with the points that change from ramp/curve to step when I move it. It also happends when I try to edit a curve that already exist with the cursor (transormed to draw tool when entering the area).

Have you set the linear curve shape in this menu?

1 Like

Yes, it is. It works perfectly in the past, that make me think it may be a bug ?

1 Like

Hi,

Could you write step by step description, how to come to the bug, please?

1. Create a new instrument track
  2. Open a MIDI event in the key editor
  3. Draw curves for a CC (modulation for example). I mostly use the line tool for that
  4. Try to edit the curves moving some points or draw new points using the default cursor transformed to pen

Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes the new point or the edited point makes jump.

Hi,

Could you be more precise, please? We don’t know, when did you switch to the curve mode.

I don’t switch to the curve mode. The curve mode as been selected as default in the lane preferences dropdown menu (Type of new controller events : ramp)
Once that is correctly set and doesn’t change, all the points new points should be in ramp/curve mode right ?

When the bug happens, the new point or the edited point is no longer in ramp/curve but in step mode. Then I have to change this point to curve mode to fix that. It seems that sometimes Cubase change the default mode set in the lane preference menu to the other mode.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Key Editor curve type always switching to "Step Mode":

I am having the same issue. It seems that Cubase uses the setting of the last control point (the one immediately on the left of what I am adding). So make sure to change in the info line the setting of the point preceding the one that you want to draw. After changing it to ramp/curve all the subsequent written points act as expected and are ramps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cannot reproduce this behaviour. If I set the option to insert ramp events, Cubase always inserts ramp events regardless of any step event in the vicinity (left or right of it).
Win 10, C Pro 12.0.40

Good for you. You use Cubase 12. I am on 11 and the behavior is the one I described. Maybe they corrected it on 12?

That’s what I try to hint at. You could check out if it works on your machine as well through a trial version.

I am on Nuendo 12 and it still jumps back to step for me. Please sort this bug.

If we assume that this part of the code is identical in Nuendo and Cubase the question is: Why does it happen on your installation but not on mine?

Because you dont edit the way I do.

Have you tried editing 5 legato string parts (playing separate intruments) together via selecting them all and edit multi layered midi? Then perform various cut n pastes or drag n drops of the notes (across those tracks collectively in mult-layered edit mode) with their associated controller data. Then try deleting some of the controller data and writing new ramps (via single point and drag) go in and out of the edit window to arrange window and back.

This is what a composer would do to write convincing sounding legato works on a daily basis. I’m definitely not alone in editing this way ie multiple legato lines at once via multiselection > edit.

edit: also @Johnny_Moneto tell us in what scenarios do you use (and switch to) step mode for cc curve editing. Please give an honest percentage estimate of the time you actually use step type drawing mode?
My point being (apart from this bug) we shouldnt have to battle to keep editors from jumping back to step mode. Sustain and sustuento pedal are the only times I can think of its useful. So at least give us the option of making ramp the default of existing curves (the option for new curves doesnt always stick either) and for it not to change back to step for whatever reason or context (step is definitely used the minority of times used by far). With another option to make cc 64 and 65 an exception. Its all about work flow.

1 Like

Please kindly note that I am not a Steinberg representative but a mere customer like you. I am using my spare time to try to figure out why we two get a different behaviour when using virtually the same software.
Thanks for your above description, I will try to emulate that. I am sorry if I don’t match your expectations of what a real composer is.

Where did I say or imply this:

Thats not a fair asumption, I have no angst towards you.
I’m genuinely interested to know, from anyone, when they actually use step mode drawing for CC.

Because I have the “new cc data in ramp mode” option enabled my sustain pedal gets shown as a continuous dip and thats still fine. A lot less hassle than having to continually battle with it jumping back to step mode.