Key Editor Display Flats

Hi Everyone,

So I found a forum post in the feature request section asking for sharps to be displayed as flats in the key editor. At the end of the post, someone said that it was implemented for Cubase 9. However, I haven’t been able to find it. I’m on 9.5 and am still getting A#'s. Is there a preference or a menu item I’m not seeing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

Preferences > Event Display > Chords&Pitch > Enharmonics from ChordTrack

Hmmmm…that didn’t work. Do you have to have the chord track enabled for this to take effect?

You need to at least put a Scale event on the Chord Track - otherwise it doesn’t know if it is a flat or sharp key.

I tried that as well. Didn’t work very well. ('m also the OP, work vs personal account). I’m amazed that Cubase can do real time chordal analysis but can’t find a more eloquent way to not display A#'s.

Here’s hoping CB 10 will fix a very basic music theory component.

1 Like

Can you take a screen grab that shows the Chord Track & its Inspector along with a portion of the Key Ed showing the sharps.

What theory component is missing exactly? Telling Cubase the key is as simple as placing a tonic chord on the chord track.

The Key Editor will display notes with Flat Names in the Key Editor, however, as others have said, you must use a Chord Track and place at least one Chord on the Track to tell Cubase you are using a Key with Flat Notes. For example, place at F chord on the Chord Track and Key Editor will show you Bb. Do check that preference setting that was mentioned.

When I first began with Cubase I was disappointed that Flat Keys were not available in a more “normal” musical way – standard circle of fifths names, etc. Over time, I just adapted to what Cubase does. Cubase’s feature set of harmonic tools is impressive, but you’ll have to adapt to what may seem to be “limitations.” I’ve found that, mostly, when using the Key Editor I’m zoomed out far enough that the note names are not displayed.

Good luck on this. It’s one of those “it is what it is” situations with the Flat Keys. IMHO, the tools Cubase offers make it so you will soon forget about this. We know it’s not “A sharp” when playing F7sus4 and so does Cubase, it gets the notes right and mostly names notes correctly in the Key Editor. The Chord Assistant and Chord Pads use Flat names. Again, set Enharmonic mentioned above and place at least one chord event on the Chord Track.

Give it time. I have a bunch of things I’d like to see Cubase do with its harmonic/melodic tool set including better Flat Key impementation, but for now I’m happy I have the tools I do have. Always happy to discuss this further. :slight_smile:

Sorry I never responded to the above, got very busy for a while. After a couple months using the chord track I found it somewhat inconsistent. Especially once you start getting into flat 6 chords and extended harmony. Sometimes it would display flats and then sometimes it would display sharps on the same note (I would watch it switch back and fourth depending on the bar). Even though the chord track was set at bar 1. So it’s kinda helpful, but feels like it could be more eloquent/updated.

Are you saying that you put one single chord on the chord track at bar one and no other chords thereafter?

At least give specifics so what you’re saying can be understood. But I think might have, so maybe this has something to do with what you’re saying: :wink:

The chord on the chord track, the chosen scale, and the enharmonic setting of the chord combine to determine the spelling of the notes in the key editor. So a bVI7 chord in F can be spelled as C#7 or as Db7.

If you turn off automatic scales on the chord track you can set each yourself.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I wasn’t super clear. I created a chord track, enabled “Show Scales”, turned off “automatic scales” in the inspector window. Then added a “scale event?” I think thats the right term for it, as it’s not a chord event. This helps out a little bit, but as we’ve discussed there are exceptions and it’s not a perfect system, espeshally if you have to add a new event for every time you modulate or get into some extended harmony. I guess what I’m wishing is that Steinberg would come up with a more eloquent solution.

I suspect they are heading in that direction. For some perspective, it’s only a couple revs back that we got any flats at all.

Fare enough. FINGERS CROSSED! haha