Apologies and thanks. Here’s a more detailed run down:
- Create an empty project.
- Add two MIDI tracks.
- With the Pencil tool, create an empty MIDI part on each track (size doesn’t matter).
- With the Key Editor create two different notes, one in each of the parts.
- In the Project Window select both parts.
- In the Key Editor, make sure “Edit Active Part Only” is OFF.
- Click on each of the two notes and the edited MIDI part changes, as expected.
- However, lasso-select the note which is in the inactive part, and the part doesn’t change.
I understand this behavior is advantageous when moving lots of note data around, but when just switching from one part to another it can get annoying to have to pin-point click (especially when the notes are small). Most often I’m switching parts just to edit the associated controller lanes, and therefore the Key Editor is quite zoomed out and notes are difficult to click on.
IMHO when lasso-selecting a note (or notes) which all belong to a different part than the active one, the active part should change, without having any effect on the current Edit Active Part mode. It seems to me to be the expected behavior from a UI standpoint and I therefore concluded it was a bug. Strong word maybe, “quirk” might be more suitable