Key editor not opening on a new midi recording

In all versions of Cubase I’ve used, making a new midi recording automatically opens that part in the Key Editor, but this isn’t true for me in C9. I have disabled the Lower Zone, and set all preferences to open in a new window. Am I missing something? Or is this a new expected behaviour? Or a bug?

EDIT - steps to reproduce:

Cubase 8.5 or earlier

Blank project
Create instrument / midi track
Record midi
double click to open key editor
Record midi
New part opens (updates) in key editor

Cubase 9

Blank project
Record midi
Record midi
New part does not open (update) in key editor

Yup, I’ve noticed this as well. I think it’s a bug and hopefully Steinberg will take notice.

I have never noticed that happening. I just tried it in a freshly initialized Cubase 8.5. (factory default prefs)

1. new project
  2. new midi track
  3. record into track
  4. stop recording
    –New part has been created, midi has been recorded.
    –the key editor does not open.

What settings did you use to make this happen?

Equally puzzled here, I’ve never had this happen.

I think the only additional step is to have the key editor open once - when it’s open, all subsequent recordings default to being in the editor. Will check later.

OK, done what I should have done at the outset and made a step-by-step comparison (and amended OP)

Cubase 8.5 or earlier

Blank project
Record midi
Record midi
New part opens in key editor

Cubase 9

Blank project
Record midi
Record midi
New part does not open in key editor

As a test, I also tried it in the infernal Lower Zone which I have disabled, and it’s the same behaviour as in the full key editor window.

It’s a major pita. An extra 2 clicks for every new part created - click a different part after recording, then click the new part again.

I tried your repro- are there steps missing? I added what I thought must have been in C8.5, but couldn’t reproduce having the key editor open. What’s the missing step?

Blank project
Record midi
<— close editor?
Record midi
New part opens in key editor

I found what you must be talking about by replacing the word ‘open’ with ‘update’

Summary:
After recording a new midi part in the the project window, the part is highlighted as if it’s selected, but data does not update in an already open midi editor.

Repro

1. New project
  2. activate lower zone key editor. (zone will display blank)
  3. confirm ‘editor content follows event selection’ is active
  4. new midi track
  5. Record some midi, then stop recording

part is selected in project, but key editor does not update.

It’s the same behavior for the independent window key editor, but of course, one cannot open a key edit window if a midi track or part is not selected. So for that case here’s the repro:

1. New project
  2. new midi track
  3. record some midi, open the key editor, the part’s data is diplayed
  4. confirm ‘editor content follows event selection’ is active
  5. new midi track
  6. Record some midi, then stop recording

part is selected in project, but key editor does not update.

Right?

Yes, that’s it Steve.

Reported! Steinberg Forums

Here’s one macro you could invoke after recording that that would help in some cases…

Macro:

Fantastic, a double thanks there Steve.

I also have never seen this behavior. However pre-C9 versions have a Preference under Editing to Link Editors. I always left that unchecked. In C9 that Preference has been removed (why would they do that?) and it behaves as previous versions did when it was unchecked. Perhaps this is the basis for what you’re seeing.

But, Key editor not opening on a new midi recording - #8 by steve - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Steve, you could seriously damage the forum by creating an infinite feedback loop. :ugeek:

You think? Key editor not opening on a new midi recording - #14 by raino - Cubase - Steinberg Forums