Key Editor Piano Roll Mouse Click Velocity

This seems like the sort of information I should be able to find in the Manual but I’ve looked in the Piano Keyboard Display page (Piano Keyboard Display) and the Key Editor page (Key Editor) and I don’t see it. Could someone please make a suggestion for how to use the manual more efficiently so I don’t have to post all my questions on this forum . . . ?

Question: How do I set the Velocity represented by a mouse-click on the Piano Roll keyboard in the Key Editor? It sounds like it defaults to 127 which for many instruments is not just loud but has a very different timbre than lower velocities.

BTW, in the FL Studio Piano Roll the velocity depends where on the key you click, which is a very nice feature.

1 Like

You can configure that here

While drawing in Notes in the Key Editor if you ctrl+drag up/down it will adjust the Velocity.

Use the PDF search function to find keywords in the Ops Manual. Even though the Index is pretty big it is still inadequate to what is needed. Also the Table of Contents can at times be more useful than the Index.

EDIT:
And cursing, cursing can also help

1 Like

there are different methods to set velocity in the key editor

searched the online manual and the second link leads to the page

You can configure that here

While drawing in Notes in the Key Editor if you ctrl+drag up/down it will adjust the Velocity.

…and…
When you draw note events in the MIDI editor, the note events get the velocity value that is set in the Note Insert Velocity field on the toolbar. There are different methods to set the velocity.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond, but both of you have misunderstood the question. Please advise me how I could have been clearer…

I asked, “How do I set the Velocity represented by a mouse-click on the Piano Roll keyboard in the Key Editor?” I’ve added emphasis here. I meant literally what I said - a mouse click on the keyboard, i.e., on the white and black keys. I know we have an international community and things get lost in translation so that’s why I also referenced Piano Keyboard Display in my OP, but I’m not asking about the insert velocity when drawing a note.

So when using Step Input, if you turn off Record NoteOn Velocity, notes input by clicking on the Piano Keyboard will be recorded with the set Note Insert Velocity.

The issue is, the audio played back when clicking on the Piano Keyboard still ignores the set Note Insert Velocity. That is, it is always played as if the Velocity was set at 127. This is not the case if you draw the note on the Note Display. So it qualifies as a bug, in my opinion.

1 Like

So are you saying it can’t be done, i.e., clicking on the keys only produces a velocity of 127 and there’s no way to change it? If true, that’s bizarre.

Well, someone else might know of a solution to this issue. My opinion is when clicking on the Piano Keyboard the audio playback should follow the set Note Insert Velocity. My opinion doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, though.

I totally agree with your opinion that aligning it with the Insert Velocity would be the logical way to do it.

I just wanted to make sure Cubase doesn’t offer some other way to do it. What I think would be bizarre is if there was no way to do it. That’s why in my OP I mentioned how FL Studio does it (…by what part of the piano key you click on).

When you use Halion Sonic SE you can get different velocities depending on where you click the key (bottom edge, middle of the key, right at the top). Groove Agent pads work the same way. Not sure if this works in key editor though. You can try.

Wich keyboard is the one that doesn’t change the velocity? The one in the instrument? This doesn’t get the information sent from the host…

Like it sez in the OP . . .

So, no way to do this? Do I check off paka’s answer as the :ballot_box_with_check:solution, i.e., yet another “no way to do it in Cubase” answer? I just had another one of those today on a different question.

The OP is referring to the vertical keyboard in the Key Editor, while step input is active.

It’s a reasonable request (adjusting the velocity based on where on the key one clicks), even though doing the two together seems like a rare workflow. Do others use this?