Key server licensing

Is there an option to use Dorico with key server licensing, like Sassafras?

I presented Dorico to a university today that is very interested in coming on board, but they would require a server-based licensing that I’m not familiar with. I told them I knew Dorico was very keen on getting into the educational market, and that I would find out!

Edit: I did find this thread; wondering if there’s an update to the policy.

1 Like

If there’s really no way to do that, it’s big — and not in a good way.

Licensing has been my day gig since the mid 1990s. Server based licensing is critical to the EDU market where authorized users come and go by the quarter or semester. Admins need to know on a regular basis exactly how many seats are in use.

There are a number of successful server based licensing schemes. One nice thing is that the good ones are all cross platform. Sassafras is very good but they are not the only game in town.

At the moment, Dorico is not available with network-based licensing. The ongoing project to replace the eLicenser will include the capability to handle multi-user licensing for educational institutions with greater flexibility, but for the time being all multi-user licensing uses the same eLicenser (either Soft- or USB-based) as single-user Dorico licensing.

Despite the lack of network-based licensing, we are nevertheless having success bringing Dorico into schools, colleges and universities both in the US and in Europe. We would welcome the chance to speak to the university ourselves, so if you would be so kind as to put me in touch with the administrators there, we will be happy to get in touch and discuss options with them.

Thanks Daniel. I’ve sent you an email.

Hi, Daniel, You have said that it was at that moment, but how is it now?

These days, we, Johns Hopkins University/Peabody Conservatory, really want Dorico to work on our Network License Server which is Sassafras as well.

We have a new major called Music for New Media, and their head faculty is Thomas Dolby. Students there are greatly passionate about Dorico.

Actually that will be really dangerous to have a e-license plug in our server computer. Now, We are ready to use Dorico, and how can we put them into Sassafras.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I’m afraid at the moment there’s still no way to use Sassafras key server with Dorico, but hopefully we can nevertheless find a solution that will work for you. We now have a good number of site licenses for schools, colleges and universities, especially in the UK, and with our support they are able to make our current licensing system work. I’ll send you a PM with my email address, and we can then discuss more directly.

Hi Daniel, I am also interested as we in NL have been trying to contact Dorico about server or ‘other’ forms of licensing. What other options are there and can it be ‘retrieved’ from a student laptop when they leave the institution?

Drop me an email at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de with your requirements, @wrightstuffmusic, and we’ll figure out the best way forwards.