Keyboard Accessible UI for Checkboxes, Menus, Text Fields, Etc

Dear Steinberg,

I’m currently using Cubase 10 on a Mac. The one feature I miss the most from earlier versions is that I can no longer use the keyboard to navigate basic UI elements like checkboxes, text entry fields, dropdown menus, searching lists, etc. I also can’t use a program like UI Browser to identify these UI elements which would be incredibly helpful. I used to be able to accomplish pretty much any UI task via either typing or macros… But anything that’s been updated with the new Cubase 10 look for the most part is now only accessible via a combination of eyeball and mouse click.

For example, I’d LOVE to be able to use TAB to move between checkbox / menu / text fields in a set order, wherever they appear. Take for example the Export Audio Mixdown window. If I could once again navigate this entire window using the keyboard (like I could in 9.5) I would die from happiness. To be specific - I want to use tab to navigate to each checkbox, text field, dropdown, etc, and once there use Space or Enter to check or uncheck, or an arrow key to move the cursor through a list or bring down a drop-down menu. I’d also love to be able to type directly into the export selection list on the left side to move quickly to specific instruments/groups/whatever. This function is available already in the drop-down menu that lists recent export locations (you can type in a path and it will become selected in this dropdown), which is great. That’s the kind of function I want to have any time there is a list of any sort!

The Project Synchronization Setup > Destinations is another example that is particularly troubling because there isn’t even a search field… the only way to find the connection I want is to literally scroll through and read the list inside a fairly small frame. I don’t remember the Reading Rainbow episode about the joys of lengthy MTC destination lists.

Even something like Add Instrument Track could be made far more pleasant if I could just tab to the instrument list, type in the instrument name, hit enter, tab to the output list, type in my output name, hit enter, tab to the count, type in a number, hit enter, and enter again… I’ve come to expect this sort of behavior from pretty much all other software, and the idea of living without it in order to enjoy the other great things about Cubase constantly gnaws at the very essence of my soul.

I completely agree, and I primarily use Cubase on Windows 10 PC. Re-adding Tab functionality allows my midi triggered scripts to work properly again. Speed is important, and it is counterproductive to be forced to use a mouse where I previously had automation.

1 Like
  • 1000,0000,0000. :smiley:

This is my number one Annual Request of all time. They gave up on Accelerators (single key for each UI object on a window) and Default Keys (what happens when you press Enter or Esc) with SX. Lars and Charlie -promised- they’d be back but it never happened.

HAVING TO TAKE MY HANDS OFF THE KEYBOARD AND SWITCH BACK AND FORTH WITH THE MOUSE 5,000 TIMES A DAY IS -THE- SINGLE BIGGEST PRODUCTIVITY KILLER IN CUBASE. WE HATES IT FOREEEEEEEEEEEHVER!

2 Likes

Still in Cubase 11 this is still the case. It would make things so much faster if you could just use the tab key to navigate the windows and constant close key commands be consistent. On the mac I use Command-W to close and some it works some it doesn’t.

Also, along these lines the length of fields like the mixdown path be adjustable. On the mac it “volumes/drive/directory1/directory2/etc” For me, I only use one drive for project data and do not need “volumes/drive”.

1 Like