Keyboard Entry

While I understand the logic that led to certain choices for keyboard entry, I do wish there were an option for users to reassign these hot-keys. For example, I do not find the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 sequence for choosing rhythmic values to be tied closely enough mnemonically with the durations being selected. Obviously, Americans (such as I) and Brits are going to have different preferences – I would be much happier to use W, H, and Q to summon up durations rather than 8, 7, and 6, whereas a Brit might prefer other abbreviations representing Semibreve, Minim, and Crotchet. So an available advanced option of hot-key customization might help.

Beyond that, I find it very clumsy that once a choice is turned on – a note value, the tuplet tool, adding a dot – that you have to turn it off. Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to reset with each new note entered, and then, instead, to have a key stroke that would keep that feature turned on?

I also might argue that the need to press 0, -, or = in advance of hitting A, B, C, D, E, F, or G is counterintuitive, since we do say F-sharp not sharp-F. Again, if more aspects of input could be customizable.

Personally, I think the Sib #1 pallet is pretty much optimal, at least if you have a numpad:

/ is Accent, * Stacatto, - is tenuto
7 is Nat, 8 Sharp, 9 Flat
4 = Q, 5 = H, 6 = W
1 = 32nd 2 = 16th 3 = 8th
0 = Rest, . = Dot

Perfect, falls comfortable to hand.

I need to spend some time rebinding Dorico that way

Remapped to the Sibelius scheme I mentioned above and I’m much happier. I’m sure it’s partly familiarity, but as a desktop user with a numpad it really is much more ergonomic, with frequently uses keys in comfortable positions.

In addition to the above, to cover most things one might enter on an at all regular basis:

Alt +
1 = 256th
2 = 128th
3 = 64th
8 = Double Sharp
9 = Double Flat
/ = Marcato

• = Stacattismo
  • = Staccato tenuto

I will just say that I am a (former?) Score user, a program which afforded a couple of different ways to select durations with keyboard entry, plus an additional method on the MIDI keyboard. I think that it makes more sense for more commands to be on the alphabetic keyboard, which is the basis of touch-typing, and less on auxiliary keys, such as the numpad or even the number row itself.