keyswitching articulations on a single track

Hi there,

I’m using cubase 7.5 - string library and kontakt. one instance of kontakt and each articulation is recorded on a separate midi track.
i read using keyswitches you can record all articulation on a single track.
i tried doing it on kontakt so for all articulation i assigned midi ch 1. but as I play they all play together. i must be going wrong
Can you explain how KS is set up so as I hit the KS that particular articulation gets active. ( I don’t want expression maps for now).

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

The Key Switching system has to be prepared (pre-programmed) by the provider of the Sound Library. If it’s not, you can do it yourself by using Expression Maps in Cubase.

hi thanks for the help.

Does this or this video help?

Hi suparnat.

If you have your articulations as separate instruments in Kontakt, keep them on separate midi channels.

Create expression mp like this (see picture)

hi,
thanks martin and misohoza.
yes misohoza » i shall look in to expression map.

well martin i watched it but it works for sounds that dont have KS assigned. going throught the steps i see that session strings have different artics assigned KS.

so i picked 3 different artics and they are asigned as c1 - d1 - e1 as KS. -
the channel for the 3 patches is asigned as ch1 cos i want all the 3 artiulations to be recorded in the same track
so as i play alll the 3 articulations play. – how can i make artciulation 1 record than artiulations 2 by these KS.
i’M NOT understanding it.

thanks.

Hi,

If you will use different channels and Expression Maps, you can achieve this very simply.

• Instrument 1: Channel 1.
  • Instrument 2: Channel 2.
  • Instrument 3: Channel 3.

Expression Map

• Instrument 1: Remote = C1, Output Mapping: Channel 1
  • Instrument 2: Remote = D1, Output Mapping: Channel 2
  • Instrument 3: Remote = E1, Output Mapping: Channel 3

Done. :wink:

Hi,

I know how to get each articulations on individual tracks And I know how to use expression maps too.

Now My objective is to have all articulations on a single track. I’m trying to switch articulations using key switches.

1. Create rack instrument - Load 1 midi track (midi track channel assigned as 1).
  2. Load kontakt5 / session strings patch /
  3. Load three different articulations of session strings in kontakt5– So I put all the 3 patches on the same midi channel -ch 1 in kontakt5.

Now I record my notes on that single midi track but all the articulations play the same time, I guess I may have to set kontakt here- guide me with the steps/ any info ?

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, it works exactly this way.

1. Create an Instrument Track, load 1 MIDI Track with MIDI channel assigned 1.
  2. Load Kontakt 5 sound.
  3. Load an Expression Map, to be able to switch between different articualtions of Kontakt from one MIDI track.

Record your take and use one MIDI track only. More channels is used in Kontakt only, but it’s controlled from one MIDI track (Channel) in Cubase.

1. Create rack instrument - Load 1 midi track (midi track channel assigned as 1).
  2. Load kontakt5 / session strings patch /
  3. Load three different articulations of session strings in kontakt5– So I put all the 3 patches on the same midi channel -ch 1 in kontakt5.

Now I record my notes on that single midi track but all the articulations play the same time, I guess I may have to set kontakt here- guide me with the steps/ any info ?

You need to put each patch in Kontakt on separate midi channel, not all of them to channel 1.
Legato ch 1, staccato ch 2, pizzicato ch 3…
Then, if you’ve done the expression map correctly you will be changing midi channel by pressing a keyswitch and only one patch will play at a time.

• Instrument 1: Channel 1.
  • Instrument 2: Channel 2.
  • Instrument 3: Channel 3.

Expression Map

• Instrument 1: Remote = C1, Output Mapping: Channel 1
  • Instrument 2: Remote = D1, Output Mapping: Channel 2
  • Instrument 3: Remote = E1, Output Mapping: Channel 3

Hello. I am Logic user. But I need knowledge here.
1Is it possible to use the Porgram
change as switchers instead of note on? (This way I could
Send articulations from my external iPad that sends porgram changes 1,2,3,4 etc from
Within Lemur. On different midi channels

Hi and welcome,

Do you mean in the Expression Map? No. But thanks to the Input Transformer, you could transform the incoming Program Change to the MIDI Notes, which could drive the Expression Map then.