Komplete 8 / Cubase 6 noob.

hi people,

I’m totally new to this place so sorry if it’s been asked 100 times, just link me to the noob section or something if it is…

I have just bought cubase 6 and komplete 8, I haven’t installed komplete yet as I was looking up about installation and some people say its ok to install “outside” of cubase, if this is ok then I would prefer that, purely to make it easier for me when making backups on second hard drive (tell me if thats the wrong way to think though)…

Like I said, I have no clue about this, can someone let me know the best place to install it as its gonna take hours so may as well put it in right place, I just need it to run smoothly and would like to know of the best way to minimise any glitches or problems further down the line when i have a few hundred tracks causing problems.

also if there are any other good threads on the forum feel free to link me to them on here.

Nice one
A Man On A Mission.

Hey bro,

I install my sound librarys on an external, and my plugins on my main. Hope this helps.

What I would do is install the plugins themselves to the public (or shared) plugin folder, and the content (samples) to a different HDD altogether (as the previous poster also wrote, I use an external HDD for this).

The thing to remember with plugin installation is that there will be at least 2 VST plugin install locations, and if we include VST3 then there will be at least 4 locations in total.
What OS are you using? If you can let me know what OS and what bit depth it uses (32 or 64) I will try to write down all the possible locations and where to install these to.

For example, I am still using Windows XP, SP3, 32-bit.
In Cubase 6 there are the following plugin locations that are private to Cubase (IE, can only be accessed by Cubase)
VST3 - C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3 - this is for VST3 plugins locked to Cubase 6
Also - C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 - this is the “public” VST3 plugin folder, and should be accessible to any VST3 capable host.
Moving to VST2.x plugins (these have a .dll extension as opposed to VST3 plugins which have a .vst3 extension)
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins - this is for VST2.x plugins locked to Cubase 6
and C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins - this is the “public” or “shared” VST2.x plugin location that is most commonly used, although some older installers have been known to place shared plugins to C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins instead.
To make sure your shared plugin folders are located & available in Cubase, launch Cubase & under the “Devices” drop-down menu click on “plugin information” and make sure that the shared plugin folder locations are set in “VST2 plugins” - if they are not, add them & then click on “UPDATE” to make them available.

Hope this helps.

Cheers both. I only have one external hdd at present which doesnt have enough space left, but there is plenty on the internal for now, around 500gb remaining.

Neil. I now have win 7, 64 bit, only 2gb ram at mo but will look at improving that if I need to.

Am I likely to get any issues if on initial komplete setup I install all plugins into the suggested folder “C:program files/native instruments/VSTPlugins (and 64bit)”? Like can I change some settings in cubase after to direct it to the chosen filepath or is that not a good idea. N.I. suggests to install into the cubase folder but I’m just not entirely sure which one. The reason I ask iss so that if I decide to use another sequencer further down the line, or upgrade cubase, previous tracks can still find the plugins?

On N.I initial setup I can’t seem to find C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins or C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins but can find C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugin, to choose as the destination folder.

with regards to making sure shared plugin folders are located and available… going to devices/plugin info on cubase I can see vst2. x plugin paths and when i click on that I can see C:\Program Files\commonfiles\Steinberg\VST2 and C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VST

Thanks again, Maybe I’m thinking to hard and should just do trial and error!

Win 7 64-bit changes things somewhat.
All folders contained in C:\Program Files.… will be the 64-bit versions.
All 32-bit plugins will now live in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTplugins instead (for the common or shared folder) and in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTplugins for the one locked to Cubase 6 as a host.
If it wants to install to the C:program files/native instruments/VSTPlugins folder you will be perfectly okay with this but you will need to point Cubase at this folder from within the plugin information window (Devices/Plugin information and under the VST2.x plugin paths tab, add this new NI one & hit “update”)

I’d go with the default, and point Cubase at the new plugin location.

ok, thanks, been a great help, though I think I’ve messed up anyway looking back… I made some slightly new files…

Komplete Library went to:
C:\Users\MyComputer\Desktop\Music, This should have been C:\Mycomputer\Music\KOMPLETE8, not sure if the fact it says desktop is a major mistake

Plugins/vsts
32bit
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

64bit
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins64

I have listed the above in cubase and its found the plugins, though I don’t know if its using the 32 or 64 bit ones

I’m still a little confused as to why cubase needs a locked folder, is that for when i save a patch on a plugin its just for cubase use and not for another daw for example, or maybe just for speed when referencing?

Thanks again,

No problems here.

Firstly, the library.
Just move it wherever you want it to be, and then simply point each plugin at the right location for it’s content from it’sinterface (if it cannot find the content, it will ask you to locate the library)

Cubase has a private folder for plugins that you will only ever use in cubase.
The public folder is for those that you also want to use in alternative hosts, such as Reaper or the like. If you are sure you will never use anything else it is safe to install there, but generally (until you are happy with moving things around) it is better to go with the defaults & just make sure the path is assigned in Cubase.

The plugins themselves.
The 32-bit ones are in the wrong place. Windows 7 should have the 32-bit versions in the folder mentioned earlier - the one with (x86) after the “Program Files” part - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTplugins
The folder they are installed to nopw is in the 64-bit section of the OS, and is not correct - that is for the 64-bit versions. I have never seen a folder called C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins64 before. It is in the 64-bit program files, but the name is wrong for most other plugs.

ok so library is fine, cubase locked file makes sense now… but oh dear…

I created C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins and C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins64 as there was no vst folders there before, only C:\Program Files\Steinberg\cubase6\VSTPlugins one.

Would you recommend a delete and re-install using the suggested native instruments filepath? also is it more of a case that other plugins (not komplete) will not accept the file path I’ve given?

kinda jumped in at the deep end and overwhelmed with new O.S. as well as loads of new stuff…

Just thought, delete wouldn’t be needed anyway would it, I can probably just drag and drop to correct filepaths… I think, even if it takes a few hours.