Komplete Kontrol M32 - Custom MIDI Remote Script

Hi, this is a MIDI Remote Script for the Komplete Kontrol M32.

Due to the nature of the M32, I decided contrary to previous scripts I wrote for other controllers, to NOT use the DAW ports of it, but the MIDI Ports.

This unfortunately means that in order for it to work properly, we have to firstly setup our controller to use the very same MIDI messages I use in the script.

On the other hand, this way we’re leaving the original implementation by Native Instrument as is, i.e. we have control over volume/pan etc in our Track/Instance mode and our jog and transport buttons working as before.

Installation instructions

For anyone who is not familiar with editing the MIDI controller knobs, I strongly recommend to read section 9 of its manual here:

We have to create a new MIDI Template, or alter one we already have, and then setup our knobs for each of its four pages (I’m using the terminology of NI) as follows.

First we open Komplete Kontrol in standalone mode, NOT inside our DAW.

Then we click on the MIDI Icon on the top-right corner, so that we can enter the editing mode:

We now either add a new template or use the default one. This template will be the one we should choose when wanting to use our MIDI Remote surface.

In our first page Page 1 we begin from the first knob and set its midi CC to 14, Channel 0, mode Relative.

Here’s how it should look like:

We proceed with knob 2 up to knob 8, and we increase the midi CC value (i.e. we go to 15 up 21) while making sure we keep channel set to 0 and mode to relative.

We then proceed with the next page Page 2 and we keep increasing the CC value for each knob.

So, for page 2, we should have for knobs 1-8 the CCs 22-29.

For page 3, 30-37, and finally for page 4, 38-45.

Our last knob in page 4 should look like this (just to verify we have done everything correctly):

Once finished, we must click again on the MIDI Icon so that our template is saved. This is crucial, if we forget to click this, our assignments will be lost!

We can now close Komplete Kontrol.

Next we have to download the installation file of the MIDI Remote surface from here:

Native Instruments_Komplete Kontrol M32 MC Custom.midiremote (2.5 KB)

Now we can open Cubase and go to Studio→MIDI Remote Manager and click on Import Script.

On the file browser that opens, we have to select the installation file we’ve just downloaded.

If everything went well, the M32 should be automatically recognized and we can now see its surface on the low zone of our project window. If however it is not automatically recognized, we can select it by the MIDI Remote Window (Native Instruments→Komplete Kontrol M32 MC Custom) and set the proper ports (Komplete Kontrol M32 MIDI).

Here’s how it should look like:

We can open it in a separate window so that we can see better what’s there:

As we can see now more clearly, the surface is a bit weird.

For each page we previously setup for our M32, we have 8 knobs and then 16 buttons right below the 8 knobs.

The script comes with preassigned values for all pages which can be totally altered by the user:

• Page 1 → Focused Quick Controls,

• Page 2 → Send Effects Levels of the selected track,

• Page 3 → Frequency & Gain for the 4 bands of the selected track, and finally,

• Page 4 → Some commands assigned to our knobs’ turns (left and right). This means that if we turn a knob left or right a different command is executed.

Now this last page explains the presence of buttons below our knobs. Each set of these buttons correspond to the left/right turn of the knob above. And they are fully assignable by the user (as the knobs are obviously). However, please note, that if we assign a set of these buttons, we should really remove the assignment (if set) from the corresponding knob, otherwise we will have both the action assigned to the knob, and the ones on our buttons, triggered at the same time.

Please don’t forget that in order to use this surface, we have to set our keyboard to its MIDI mode, by pressing Shift+(PLUGIN/MIDI), since we’re not using the keyboard’s DAW mode.

2 Likes

Gonna give this a try @m.c - thank you very much!

1 Like

Cool! Just be careful with the MIDI messages to be properly set. Other than that, I’ve just played a bit with it here, and I can say I like it, though when using the Komplete Kontrol VST in our tracks, the auto-focus turns from MIDI mode to Plugin mode, and sometimes this gets annoying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @m.c - I’ve been trying this and seeing some strange results.

I think the values are jumping from 0 to 127 really quickly.

Even though I can see smooth scrolling of the values 1 by 1 on the M32 LCD, in Cubase the values jump from 0 to 127 with a very small turn of the knob. The quick controls are not smooth at all.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong please? Would love to get this working!

Not sure if this is the problem but 1. at the bottom ‘Mapping Configuration’ section, its grayed out so I cant change the ‘Value Mode’ which is set to ‘Jump’

Also I cant change the ‘Focus Mode’ which is set to ‘Fixed’

Finally, I’m not sure if I am supposed to remove all the buttons under the knobs on Page 1,2 and 3 as I guess they should do anything (even though they say they look unassigned)?

P.S. One does seem to need to put it back into MIDI mode by pressing Shift+(PLUGIN/MIDI) very regularly, perhaps even when changing one knob which has been tweaked to another. Is there any potential workaround / other approach so we dont have to keep pressing the shortcut many multiples of times during a session?

Thanks again for any light you can shed :slight_smile:

Hi, you should see the exactly opposite, so this probably means that you haven’t setup the knobs on your M32 to Relative Mode. When we have them in relative mode, you should see on your M32 display value jumping from 1 to 127, where 1 is the right turn and 127 is the left.

And you shouldn’t. The knobs when properly setup will follow whichever value you’re controlling, without the need to “pick up”.

They are there for whenever you feel the need to use their dual functionality, they are not conflicting with the assignments.

I wouldn’t say “very” but “regularly” is absolutely correct.

Yes but I wouldn’t suggest it. One has to get rid of NI’s DAW implementation by deleting or renaming the connected dll. If we want to do this, we should rewrite the DAW assignments in our script. This can take some time on my side.

Thanks very much @m.c - really cool of you to respond so quickly!

> Hi, you should see the exactly opposite, so this probably means that you haven’t setup the knobs on your M32 to Relative Mode. When we have them in relative mode, you should see on your M32 display value jumping from 1 to 127, where 1 is the right turn and 127 is the left.

I thought I took good care to click through every knob after and make sure the 4 banks of 8 knobs were set to ‘Relative’ mode, and then clicked the ‘midi icon’ in top right to save after, as per your very clear instructions. Going to power up my main PC and double check on this after a quick corner shop run. I’ll also make sure the right profile is active (although I thought I had used/overwritten the default profile for simplicity)

> And you shouldn’t. The knobs when properly setup will follow whichever value you’re controlling, without the need to “pick up”.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

> They are there for whenever you feel the need to use their dual functionality, they are not conflicting with the assignments.

That makes sense - but just thought I’d double check

> I wouldn’t say “very” but “regularly” is absolutely correct.

Was a late night so I may have not been operating sensibly. Will recheck how often it really is if I get setup stable today

> Yes but I wouldn’t suggest it. One has to get rid of NI’s DAW implementation by deleting or renaming the connected dll. If we want to do this, we should rewrite the DAW assignments in our script. This can take some time on my side.

I’m just getting into Maschine stuff as I recently purchased a big Maschine Studio for what felt like a bargain £150 (turns out I went to University with the seller 30 years ago lol) Anyway, I have a bad case of GAS so also have a Machine Jam and a Maschine Mk2 I never really used. I think my understanding is that in Cubase, you have to 1st load the Komplete Kontrol as a plugin first, and then load your desired 3rd party VST such as Pigments inside of that. Extra step feels like a bit of a bother, but I guess does give you benefits such as being able to scroll through and audition the 100’s of Pigments patches through the scroll wheel of the Maschine Studio? And see their names/ filter and search by category given a proper NKS setup.

Am I missing any other huge benefits of the NI DAW integration method? Maybe I would sacrifice these if it meant not having to keep toggling midi mode back on regularly + remembering to load the KK wrapper for each new plugin channel first…

Regarding the knob jumping: sorry - was a case of PEBKAC - “Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair”.

As a backup precaution, before I started editing Template 1, I duplicated it to a new Template 2 late last night.

After editing Template 1, I then somehow switched to the unedited Template 2 which, of course was still in Absolute mode, even though the 1st couple of banks had the correct CC assignments

All working fine here - amazing how much hands on QC automation brings patches to life! Thanks again :partying_face:

1 Like

Oh, I don’t know… If you don’t need volume/pan for your mixer bank zone, and the autofocus for Komplete Kontrol, you could disable it, sure…

1 Like