Korg nanoKontrol2 & MIDI Learn

I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum…If not please feel free to move another forum.

I have Cubase 8.5 and I use an Avid Artist Mix set-up to control my 8 Quick Controls. Modulation, Expression, Breath, etc.

I also have a Korg nanoKontrol2 which I would like to use for my Kontakt instruments and when I want to use MIDI learn…just highlight the control on my VST instrument and turn 1 of the knobs on my nanoKontrol.

I am able to have Cubase recognize the nanoKontrol to work in Cubase mode…so, that’s fine. I realize that there is the editor for the nanoKontrol, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to use it with Cubase.
More impotrantly…do I even need to use the editor, to just control the MIDI learn function on my VST Instrments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

Hi Psmk31452,
If you are going to want to use the nanoKontrol with your own definitions, you will definitely need a MIDI translator like Bome. Additionally, you will have to use the Korg Editor to set up the scenes to correspond with your Cubase project environment.
When you are ready to write the configuration to the Korg, go to the Top Menu of the Korg Editor Select ‘Communication’ and then select ‘Write Scene Data’. You also have to change the controller mode to ‘Assignable’ under Global settings and also write the global settings to the controller.

I have a configuration that I use consisting of a Bome MIDI translator file, the Korg Scene Set and the Cubase Remote Device XML files for use as a Cubase Remote Device. This setup allows Mixer control, Halion SE control and of course VST Quick Instruments. This is much more practical for me than using the native Cubase mode. It also allows you to get the most out of the nanoKontrol - if you have the patience to set it up properly as it is very cumbersome. :slight_smile:

If you are interested I can provide you with the Files. The Bome MIDI translator costs about 50$ BUT a trial version is available. It shuts down after 20 minutes. You can of course start it again but you won’t be working with any of your projects very successfully.