Latency and missing polyphony on Midi Keyboard

Hi everybody,
I’d like to ask you some questions related to the MIDI configuration topic. My system is actually configured as follows:

• Dell PC with Xeon X5550 Processor (a bit old but still works well)
  • OS Windows 10
  • Cubase LE AI Elements 12
  • Yamaha PSR-275 keyboard (with midi in/out but not usb)
  • M-Audio Midisport Uno USB Midi interface
  • External sound card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD

These are my questions:

1. When within a midi track I use my USB MIDI interface as input, the sounds coming out of the sound card can be heard with a consistent delay. The delay is really annoying and does not allow to record the track in sincronous with the others. I’ve noticed that this problem, although minor, also occurs when I record an audio track and use monitoring. Should I use some specific Cubase setting or is it possible that the processor or other HW is not sitable for this usage?
  2. When I try to record a midi track, using the keyboard via the usb midi interface, it seems that the polyphony disappears. When I press multiple keys at once the recording midi track accepts only the first one that comes to it. I noted that the first note is standing in hold and inhibits the execution of the other notes. Could this be a limitation of the USB controller or are there Cubase settings I should check?

Regarding the latency, lower the audio buffer size to lower latency. You’re using a consumer audio interface so it may not be capable of reaching low enough buffers. Here’s an article talking about ASIO and latency:
Audio card latency

About your second issue, the loss of MIDI polyphony, that’s an odd one. I think you would have to do some more troubleshooting. Look at a MIDI monitor to see if your computer is receiving all the expected MIDI messages. There are several free ones like this e.g.

Finally, what version of Cubase do you have again? LE, AI or Elements?

Thank you so much mlideb, I followed your suggestions and the result is:

• Managing ASIO driver Creative I have now a latency of 1ms, so it is perfect

• Using MidiView I found that my midi-usb interface was not completely compliant with my keyboard (It acquire all “on” key but miss a lot of “off”). Now I bought a new one and it works well.

Thank you again :grinning:

1 Like