Latency Issues when Using Cubase 6 with VSTis and V-drums

Hi all

I ahve recently upgraded to C6 from C5 and am experiencing serious latency issues. The problems appear when using simultaneously more than 5-6 tracks with VSTis such as Omnisphere, Kontakt, Battery and Alchemy. They become unbearable when trying to play with a Roland TD-12 e-drumkit via MIDI to Native Instruments Studio Drummer, while having other tracks in loop in the background.

I have tweaked the buffer size, but I can get only sizes in excess of 512 if I want to avoid audio drop outs - and even at lower sizes, the v-drums become unplayable. I haven’t tried to use the 64-bit version a I’m not sure how the plug-ins would behave, and am not sure it would make a difference - although it should allow me to use more RAM in principle, as far as I understand.

My system:
MacBook Pro 2.4, 8Gb RAM, HD at 7.200
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 via FireWire
Glyph GT050Q Hard Disk via USB
Roland TD-12KX
M-Audio Axiom 49

Grateful for any input you may have.

Mixdown or freeze the other tracks to free up resources.

Hi Mash

Thanks a lot for the tip. I would rather avoid mixing them down as lot of ideas come up while playing and I like to be able to go back to the track quickly. I have never tried freezing them. Is it easy to unfreeze a track, i.e. how long does it take?

Luca