Latency........?

Can someone explain to me what influence has the latency from each channel to my mixdown?
The question is, do the tracks line up when i mixdown so everything is tight? I’m trying to find in google topics about this but it is not clear to me…
Anyone please…???

Hi,

Yes, Cubase takes care about the plug-in delay compensation automatically.

Yes of course. Latency only matters during live tracking. What soundcard do you have? What settings is it at?
If you want a soundcard with very low latency then… It does not get better than an RME Baby face pro (for usb)
Any universal Audio product will else deliver great results.

Also make sure your asio guard is on and set to at least low. That is in studio setup under vst audio settings. Here is mine
I can run my UAD arrow at 64 or 128 buffer size (using Cubase’s asio guard on normal setting, and I have no popping or clicks. I have a good amount of VST effects and instruments running as well)

I also have a pretty good computer. So that helps.

Thank you both for the answers.

Even during live tracking latency mainly needs to be low if you are MONITORING WHAT YOU ARE RECORDING through Cubase. For example, if you are playing a MIDI controller to a HALion VST Instrument, or recording a guitar or vocal that is being processed and monitored within the DAW. If you are recording a guitar and monitoring the guitar from your amp, for example, Cubase compensates for that latency.

I have no issues with latency at all. I monitor through cubase. Live track with vocals, guitars, vst instruments etc. It’s virtually undetectable.

Same here. I am just saying monitoring through the DAW is when one really NEEDS low latency. It’s not as important when monitoring directly.

Thank you guys for the answers BUT the question was about the plugin latencies not the ASIO latency. Anyway thank you.

Same idea. If you are just mixing, it doesn’t matter. Cubase keeps everything tight. If you are recording live and monitoring through one of those plug-ins (a reverb or pitch correct, for example) and it has high latency, then you will notice the delay and it may be difficult to perform. That is why, as a rule, don’t monitor through high latency plug-ins while monitoring a recording.
The total ASIO latency is made up of several latencies. The audio interface conversions plus anything inside the DAW such as plug-ins.

The lower the latency of your soundcard, the lower the latency in your plugins. I do not notice any latency with the RME babyface PRO when I am under 128 buffers. Same goes for the UAD arrow. I do not notice ANY latency.

No you have to add plugin latency to asio/interface latency.
Cubase 10, now has the ability to show plugin latency.
So no need to guess anymore, plugin latency can be shown right in the mixer channel.

Hey, i have a problem with latency on Cubase 10.5 with RME UCX. Buffer is 48 samples, and with standalone application there is no latency at all, but within Cubase its virtually unplayable. Every driver is up to date, every setting has been checked…

the latency is determined by each and single plugin you use.

You pick the “setup windows layout” in the Mixer - check to show latency, this will give you the total latency on each channel going into the stereo output.

As you can tell on my picture “Little Alterboy” gives me 51 ms alone on 1 channel while the next channel with 3 plugins gives a total of 11,8 ms

I have plugins that give more than 200 ms so this is just how things are. Some developers care about low latency, some not so much.

What “standalone application” are you talking about?
In Cubase disable all Plugins (Disable, not bypass - also the ones in Control room)

The answer to the original question is: The latency in cubase and interfaces etc has absolutely NO influence on your mixdown. All tracks will line up perfectly. So as far as mixdown is concerned you simply forget the term at all. Cubase handles it.

Neural DSP Archetype Plini. Tried to open only that in Cubase project and it still has latency when monitoring through Cubase. No latency in Studio One or Standalone mode…