Launchkey MK3 integration in Cubase 12?

Bank selection doesn’t work in any mode, not just drum. And although MidiRemote gives you the impression you can program the dead buttons - you can’t - the button graphic changes, but there is no function. The track prev and next buttons (< Track >) are not so useful either. They include scrolling through folder headers, not visible in the mixer, which is confusing. SB know about this, but nothing has been done. They have bigger fish to fry, I guess.

I understand this is an issue with the Logic integration as well? I have just sent a support request to Novation about this. This is such a basic functionality that I would expect it to work without any specific integration even, just a transpose up/down of 16 semitones for the pads.

1 Like

Hi mate,
Just by accident, I discovered a way to achieve bank selection.

Let’s say you have 16 tracks in Cubase, first 8 works fine with LK as we know, in order for LaunchKey mini to shift to the bank 9-16, select your track 9 (or any other in the desired bank) in Cubase project, your tracks 9-16 will have a small strip of light blue band and 9-16 on LK works same a 1-8. To go back to 1-8 bank, select any of the tracks 1-8 range LK shifts to 1-8 mode, again marking the tracks in Cubase.

This is obviously is not best of implementation as you really want to do this via midi controller, but there seems to be a work around for now.

NOTE: Check your firmware update using Novation Components app

Cheers

Hello Aussie friend.

Yes I too discovered that. But like you say, it’s a compromise. I’m up to date on firmware. Just wished they would make the large “>” button programmable. Don’t know if it’s novation or SB dragging their feet on this?

BTW my heavy handed 5 year old niece managed to snap a white key off the LK mini by pulling it upwards. The good news is, if it happens to you, superglue gel makes a convincingly permanent repair… lucky for her!!

Regards Pete

1 Like

Can I get some feedback of owner - how do you feel about absolute encoders/knobs?
I switch between instrument tracks A LOT when arranging, and while I like Novation’s integration, it’s what keeping me off it - no endless knobs :frowning:
Does Arturia win over it in this regard?

Personally I prefer endless knobs, however, if you’re using the new MIDI Remote, the “Scaled” option is really well implemented and for 90+% of the time you probably won’t notice as it’s pretty seamless.

The on-screen UI really helps in that fact too, as it show the scaling as you turn, so you never feel lost.

From the manual it’s described as so:

Scaled - Compares the value of the Cubase function to the control value, as soon as you move the control on your MIDI controller, and approaches the two values in a smooth way. As soon as the values are identical, the function follows the control value. This results in smooth value changes.”

Excuse I if this has already been mentioned ~ Seems Novation are on the case: novationmusic . c o m /hc/en-gb/articles/5481123471122

Getting Started with Launchkey MK3 // Cubase 12 Setup

• 2 months ago
  • Updated
    Applies to Launchkey MK3 (including Mini) (Cubase 12 or later)

Hi @John_Novation, i Just got the Novation LaunchKey MK3 61 and am running Cubase 13 Pro. I made sure to update to the latest firmware on the LaunchKey and made sure that it’s running in Cubase. It has the Cubase on the Controller screen but when i press shift and come to press the Session Pad, I find that it’s not luminated (Can’t be selected). might there be something I’m missing or is it a Cubase 13 upgrade issue?

Thanks, Nicolas.

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems. I’m not aware of any compatibility issues with Cubase 13 Pro but the team have yet to thoroughly test it. Perhaps it’s best if you hop on a live chat or give us a call so that we can troubleshoot this with you in real time? - https://bit.ly/CallNovationSupport

1 Like

Will do thanks @John_Novation

The Pad features are a STANDALONE feature when using the Launchkey as a regular old MIDI controller, just like the Arp/Chord/Scale feature. The settings/controls for those are internal, they don’t work with the MIDI Remote setup, at least not right now.

1 Like