Layering several VST sounds with different expression maps to one instrument

Hi,
I would like to layer two different VST instruments (with different expression maps) to Dorico instruments. Is there a way to route to different instruments with different expression maps?

For example, I find that NP 3 with strings layer with another liberary (I use Miroslav Philharmonic) sounds much better.

Currently, I created new instruments for MP and manually copied the notes to these. However, if I change something I have to copy/paste again.

I think the only way you could to that without copy and paste between instruments or voices is to put both vst on the same channel and create an xmap that will generate the proper patches on the two instruments at the same time.
I use this not for layering but for complementary instruments. For example, a my solo violin combines Vsl, Xsa contemporary, xsa normal and con timbre. When selecting a sound, my xmap calls the preset on the active vst and puts the other ones on an empty patch.
But to manage that you’ll need hours and hours of xmap and preset building and a very powerful computer for larger scores

1 Like

Yes, at the moment there’s no better way to do this than to have multiple instruments in your project with the same music; you can hide the extra instruments from the printed score by creating a full score layout that omits them.

Hey Daniel! Any chance this gonna be supported in a better way? Layering multiple VSTs sounds like a major use-case for so many composers/orchestrators for achieving a more convincing mockups! Thank you :slight_smile:

Define ‘better’.

I think Mina wants the ability to have a single staff/voice send MIDI data to different VST tracks (or even separate VST’s) simultaneously.

I wonder if Bidule might be the answer, but that would be complicated. The HALion player seems to be able to change the MIDI input channels to allow multiple tracks to access the same MIDI input stream.

multiMidiInput

We would definitely like to add this feature in future, yes, but I can’t say for sure when it might be added.