Left and right faders on stereo track?

I know I could do this in Cubase SX3, and I am looking to do this in Cubase 5 but am having trouble finding how to do it. When you have a stereo track, how do you change the one fader to a left and right fader on the stereo track. I know you can click on the pan control and have several options on the pan. But I know there was an option to have a left and right fader on a stereo track to control the left and right channel of the track.

Thanks

Not without splitting the file, or using a plugin…

Copy the stereo track, pan one hard left and the other hard right…

No, you could not do it in SX either. The last time we had this functionality on the mixer was VST5 on OS9 (mac).

The only way to do this right now without breaking up the interleaved files is to insert the mix6to2 plug. It was actually designed for folding down 5.1 files but works fine for simple LR adjustments.

Astonishing that the similar functionality wasn’t employed into the mixer. Or at least a more elegant plugin dedicated to stereo tracks. (with nicer panning controls too)

I’ve been asking for true stereo control over interleaved files ever since SX. I’m grateful that the panning options were added back though.

best
s

Has it been that long ago? I started on Cubase 5 way back in the day and I remember having the ability to have two faders for a stereo track. I did not need it that often, but a recent mix I was given the left channel was stronger than the right channel and I wanted to balance the two tracks.

Yes you can use the pan function, but now that I think about it, there is a plug in in Cubase where you can balance the left and right channel (and even switch the left channel to the right). Samplitude’s main output has two faders and it allows you to unlink and adjust as well. Maybe Cubae 6 will add some more features in this area?

I was playing around with the export functions the other day. (I can’t remember exactly what I did, but this shouldn’t be too hard to find).

I record in 32 Bit float / 48 Khz.
I (think) I exported either a wave or a broadcast wave at the same resolution, and the result was two separate mono files. I did it at the mix level, but this should also work just fine for single stereo tracks.

As I said I can’t remember exactly what I did, but if you play around with the export options (64 or 32 bit broadcast wave), you should be able to find it.

Cheers!

Hello,

did you tried the other panning options (Combined / Dual) of Cubase ?

Cheers,

Chris
dual.PNG
combined.PNG

Ok, this is embarrassing to admit but after reading Chris’s suggestion to use the panner I did a test with a hard stereo bounce and found out that when you use the default panner (called stereo balance panner) it reduces the volume of the side you’re panning away from!
I-Did-Not-know-That
So, a HARD Pan in this mode would simply turn off the opposite side.

I instinctively turn on one of the other panning methods when I need to alter pans so I never stumbled on this.
I’m not so sure that SBP should be the default panner tho… but that’s a topic for another day.

Now that I’ve learned this it’s clear that this would be the simplest and quickest way to accomplish what you’re trying to do. It’s not intuitive (for old men like me) but it works.

I’ll probably still use the mix6to2 plug most of the time because it still feels more natural to my analog brain.

Best
s

Hello,

Please have a look in the Cubase manual, and have a search for “Stereo Pan Law”

Cheers,

Chris

Try any “analog Stereo balance” Pot, will do just the same (as long as it´s a Stereo balance pot).

Like so many other things in Cubase, the standard panner mode can be set in Prefernces…

Thanks again Chris,
But in all fairness stereo Pan Law is usually a reference to the level of a Mono signal which will appear louder when panned to the center due to speaker coupling. Pan Law is a volume curve which compensates for this. Stereo Balance Panner is something altogether different.

I did look up “Stereo Balance Panner” and found a brief explanation which in hindsight makes sense but is not 100% clear:
" Stereo Balance Panner controls the balance between the left and right channels."
[by reducing the volume of the side you pan away from] (brackets added)

Another sentence or two would make it easier to understand.

And I appreciate you taking the time as a moderator to contribute a suggestion to the OP but, again, in all fairness your suggestion to explore the other two panning types was incorrect and a little confusing. Wouldn’t it have been more helpful just to explain how the Stereo Balance Panner works?

Yup, got it.
I finally found it under “VST” (main heading) ???
Not making excuses (yes he is…) but the layout of the preference list is not exactly logical or intuitive either.

So to recap:
The OP can adjust the relative LR levels using the Stereo Balance Panner but there is no way to have independent faders.
And the only way to adjust the stereo FIELD of an interleaved file AND the L vs R volume level is to use the mix6to2 plug. which I don’t mind doing when I need to.

…splitting interleaved files into dual mono? Yuk… how Protools…

But an elegant way to get true stereo control over interleaved files would be a great addition to Cubase. Even if it’s just a channel strip plug with big luscious faders and pan pots… think Sonalksis FreeG… Sonalksis
(for those of us who are into that sort of thing)

Onward

s

What difference is there if you use the dual or combined.

I don’t know about the others, but I think the Master output fader could be improved. Left and right faders, mono button, and perhaps have the faders red to distingish it between the other faders. Group channels could be blue so it would be easier to locate them. :smiley:

I hope I’m not missing something here but I like Split’s idea of copying the stereo channel having both channels side by side and panning one hard left and the other hard right. That way you have left and right independent faders and you can link them if you want to operate them as one channel.

Sometimes the obvious evades us, but to my way of thinking it is the easiest way and meets the OP’s request :slight_smile:

I originally thought you could then route back to a stereo group, but then what would be the point of that :laughing:

:sunglasses: :wink:

I also strongly need the funtion to make different volume settings left & right, independent of pan settings.
I mostly use stereo dual panning.

Now I use a plugin for this which I have downloaded, but it’s cumbersome.

As suggested earlier, a plugin is the easiest way.
The included Mix6To2 plugin (in the VST>Surround folder) is perfect for this particular job, or there are some good free ones out there too (depending on platform, of course).

Yes, I now use the simple download plugin Stereo Tools by Kelly Industries on Windows XPsp3.