Lesson of the Day: Don't take shortcuts

No matter how miniscule the change you made to a mix that sounded good before, always go through the process of testing your new mix on a variety of devices / speakers.

I changed Flight by removing some low end EQ on the bassline and bumping up that track’s volume by 2 dB to compensate, and assumed that the mix would be fine. I even listened to it briefly on my monitors.

I heard the MP3 mixdown via my iPod through my car speakers for the first time today. The mix is horribly messed up, with the vocals being far, far too prominent.

Don’t take shortcuts.

/facepalm

I disabled the master bus inserts (Magneto and Limiter) when I recorded the harmony line. I never re-enabled them and that’s what the problem was.

Larry, Larry, Larry…:shakes head:

:slight_smile:

Shush. :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason I disabled them is because you may recall a thread I created some months ago (when Paul was still here) where I said I was getting static on my tracks in spite of the fact that I was pretty sure I didn’t have any cable issues. Turns out that having the Limiter on the master bus when tracking and using the monitor feature in Cubase was causing the issue.

So now as a matter of course I disable all master bus inserts when tracking.

:laughing:

Aloha F.
Unfortunately I (and many others) know that feeling. :frowning:
{‘-’]

I’m pretty sure my middle name is “you’ve got to be kidding me”. Facepalm for short.