LFO automation and more LFO functions in Cubase?

Cubase just doesn’t do this kind of stuff very well. I have come to the conclusion that Steinberg have decided that if you want to do sound design work, you do it in Halion while Cubase is all about sequencing midi, recording audio and mixing.

You could check out Voltage Modular. It is a virtual modular VST and it can host VST instruments and fx inside it as well as its own virtual modules. You can then add all the LFOs and envelopes you like to all the available parameters in the hosted VST as if it were a modular voice itself.

:slight_smile:

Exactly, thats one of the things that make my invest on Cubase worth it; The many variety of features, as an intuitive software too.

Sounds as a very interesting plugin, but there is some points to mention, is not need it, is not free, is not natively of Cubase and it goes back to the original issue as a limited Cubase feature…

Cubase have 2 different tools for a “simple” LFO effect (as far as I know) :

but in my personal opinion, both are limited compared with the possibilities that offers the LFO tool from FL Studio.

For those who have curiosity about what can offer the LFO tool coming natively and routed to MIDI, in FL Studio, I share the full demo version download of FL Studio, for practical and experimental purposes, as so to test what could be a great feature, if it were implemented in Cubase, even Steinberg developers themselves, could take a look to this marvelous tool to consider as a future implementation for Cubase :

WIN
https://support.image-line.com/redirect/flstudio_windows_rc?_ga=2.200466918.910305075.1578877805-1448969505.1563248354
MAC
https://support.image-line.com/redirect/flstudio_macos_rc?_ga=2.200466918.910305075.1578877805-1448969505.1563248354

1 Like

uhm… seems like FL Studio is the king speaking about his LFO options and choices… :open_mouth:

Fruity Formulla Controller:
https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/plugins/Fruity%20Formula%20Controller.htm

Fruity Peak Controller:
https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/plugins/Fruity%20Peak%20Controller.htm

Now Im jealous!

1 Like

I came here jealous too, and everybody has already msde all the points I would add, back in January even.

Im a Cubase only, cubase lover.
Do not want to run two DAWs.

+1 wish automation had the option for LFO in automation, even simple ones.

Definitely dont want Cubase destroyed by trying to please all genres, though.

+1

… am looking since months for applying such LFO to panning audio in 3D audio space (7.1.4). Found only some not so easy to use and work-with solution by using an external midi generator through a Generic Remote Interface. Is far from working out-of-the-box.

Big +1 coming from bitwig this is a joke

2 Likes

Been demoing Bitwig for mainly this reason. Really hope that this topic would be addressed this November, when probably 11.5 is released.

This is really a BIG thing. Using excessive modulation in Bitwig is fast and fun. I just missed crossgrade sale, but maybe there’s a new one soon.

I love Cubase and it wins in lots of departments, and I wouldn’t want to learn a new DAW, but Cubase is falling too far behind when it comes to automation and modulation. And of course the fact that Cubase treats audio and midi tracks so differently doesn’t help at all. Complex routings in Cubase are often easy-peasy in Reaper and Bitwig (and probably in Ableton, too). Like stated before in this topic, treating audio, midi and automation in the same way would be a great step in the right direction, but I’m afraid unlikely to happen.

But, just giving as an LFO, envelopes etc. to automation lane? How about that? Shouldn’t be too much to ask.

1 Like

Exploring stock plugins, I found a way forward, it’s called Chopper, and it’s found in Steinberg’s native plugins in Modulation section. It is a simple and automatable LFO, there are not very complex option for LFOs or possibility to draw it, but it is functional, however, there is something I don’t like at all, and it’s you can’t keep a signal in stereo without a LFO panning effect, if mono button is activated, the signal becomes 100% mono…

I think Steinberg can improve this plugin with extra option to disable the panning effect, but if more options to make a versatile LFO effects come, would be great too!

chopper

3 Likes

I really miss automation features from FL Studio. Now with the version 2.9 you have even mooore power. You can now automate with automation multiple parameters or even automate automation with automation :smiley: Super handy.

I hope that Cubase 12 will finally make some big leap, otherwise I might probably go back to FL :confused:

Here it’s shown in action: FL STUDIO 20.9 | In A Minute! - YouTube

Came by this thread as many of you, in the seach for a way to modulate some parameters of plugins using LFOs.
Im very disapointed that Bitwig, Ableton, fruity loops and Reaper can make it happen and Cubase doesnt.
Hope it will happen in a future release …soon…
The Way reaper has this implemented is great.

1 Like

Seems like this topic is becoming popular, hopefully it will be of relevance to Steinberg, from what I have seen they always listen to their users, I have had a few wishes/requests come true due to the interest of other users. Keep growing this thread!

I managed to put the auto LFO tool in the MIDI insert to modulate parameters , but works only for VSTi´s .
For those interested in this its a matter of inserting the plugin, choosing a cc (any will work) go to the VSTi right click the parameter and choose learn cc, hit spacebar to play the timeline and the parameter gets automatically sync´d to the lfo,

Also pleased that this thread is getting popular. I’m one of those people that have used cubase since the mid 90s, and this is maybe one of the only things that I truly think is missing. It DOES make life difficult quite often not being able to simply add a LFO modulator source to parameter destinations throughout the program.
But, it’s probably not such of an “easy addon” as many here think. Mainly because lots of parameters aren’t actually (as of now) meant for automation in Cubase. Such as sample start, etc. Also, you can’t sidechain a alot of plugins, mainly only dynamics plugins. So I think for this LFO/Envelope modulator plugin to work as poeple intend it to work, Steinberg would need to make EVERYTHING mostly automatable. Maybe this is a deep rewrite of the program structurewise?

Let’s hope for the best. Sooo often I simply want to throw a slow random LFO on anything like a pan knob, volume knob or an EQ parameter… Saves lots of time as a producer/mixer.

1 Like

Yes, that’s something I’d love to see in Cubase eventually!

Bitwig has modulator slots in every device - native and 3rd party VSTs - and those modulators can control any exposed parameter of said device and devices nested within it:

https://www.bitwig.com/learnings/an-introduction-to-modulators-45/?change_language=en

3 Likes

Bitwing LFO modulator looks amazing!

2 Likes

This video shows you how to get part of the way there: How to set up LFO’s in Cubase | Q&A with Greg Ondo - YouTube

Auto LFO is there in Cubase already, just not as slick as Bitwig.

The first step toward modulation like it Bitwig is to have the MIDI routing in Cubase be seamless. It’s not to hard to set up a loopback or put a plugin instrument on a track that can output MIDI, like Reaktor. I need to get around to actually trying that, but not working on that kind of music right now.

The thing is, it can be done. I would rather have them spend time on something that can’t be done. Bitwig would have done well to add Audio Comping for example. Steinberg would do well to add a clip launcher.

What would be really great is if Steinberg would take an audio signal and use that to modulate Midi. Then I would get really excited.

Please continue here: