LFO & other modulation sources to drive automation

+1
LFO MIDI Plugin and similar stuff for CC automation. Not drawing in automation, not using 3rd party stuff (or bunch of them) as the same way I can simply use another DAW.
Sorry but Cubase sVcks for sound design for video games where i need multiple slightly modulated takes. No I have to draw by hand a lot of parameters and change and redo it so many times till it fits. Where instead I could turn one knob to get results in a second.
Steinberg is great with integration for Wwise (Nuendo) so you should understand sound designers needs.
Ableton have M4L and tools for that, Bitwig have them onboard… Time to look around Steinberg and catch up the competition.

maybe there’s another topic about automation tools but it’s the one that I found

+1

+1000

Hi there,

I appreciate these steps but they do not work

Compared to a well working LFO automation this has about 100 steps to hook up

a) there is a midi delay
b) automation is not sample accurate
c) you have to deal with multiple mute and solo and arm settings for 1 single parameter

Consider wanting to mix a track, and solo it

In cubase this means all your automation turns off when you solo the mixer track

So no it can not be done ( in Cubase ) and the amount of these steps shows only the beginning of a steep hill with plenty issues not even mentioned in the above posts

I tried these methods and

~ Midi delay ( that changes for every track if you change buffers )
~ Randomness of midi
~ Tracks not being able to be soloable
~ everything out of time and a house of cards

Is too much to consider this a working workaround for anyone who is used to

Ableton/Bitwig/FL Studio :

~ Sample accurate LFO Automation of all parameters in any synth
~ PDC with their automation ( that does not change with buffer size

Cubase has none of that

And the workarounds ( as much effort and intelligence they require ) do not work

In real context of making music there is no workaround to make anything similar happen in Cubase that is built in to other Systems

Cubase is great in many ways but behind 20 years in terms of studio tech

Only the devs can help on this one

Wellbassd,

I appreciate your quest for ultimate precision and I realize there may well be sound design needs that demand timing ‘that tight’. If the workaround doesn’t cut it for some user, then by all means move to a DAW that does, or get supplemental plugins and utilities that fill the missing feature gap, or ‘request then wait’ around for Steinberg to get around to adding it…

For ‘me’ a ‘proper workaround’ would be to use Bidule. In my case Bidule was an investment I made long ago to supplement any DAW I might need to be working with in a more universal way. It’s also a big player for any live keyboarding sessions I set up for myself. It fills in ‘missing feature’ gaps in pretty much every audio host/app I’ve ever used. I don’t have to learn the eccentricities of 4 different DAWs, and my complex effect chains or hybrid synth sounds are easily ‘portable’ among any sequencer or DAW I’m asked to use for a given project.

For situations like described in the post above (for someone that does not have Bidule, nor any interest in getting it, nor a desire to switch DAWs), I typically would recommend generating the LFO pattern on a MIDI track, as close as you can get it (using the ASIO/MIDI latency configuration options in CuBase settings) first, and then convert that into a true VST lane. From there I’d disable/hide/delete/whatever the MIDI version of the LFO generated sequence. Solo problem solved. MIDI delay problem solved. Yes, it’s still a workaround with a rather alternate work-flow, but it should get the job done for quite a few cases…without ‘waiting’ for Steinberg to add their own VST/LFO generator, or switching DAWs.

From there, if it’s still not as ‘tight’ as you’d like it (some ms delay) it can be nudged exactly where you want and it’d be well locked with the transport/sample clock. No, you’re not going to get a resolution of 48khz (or whatever project sample rate you use) in the initial MIDI LFO pattern (instead it’d be tempo locked with the transport), and again you’re limited to a parameter resolution of 128 unless you jury rig some fancy NRP stuff using multiple CCs and even more third party hacks, but it should be close enough for more than 90% of the cases out there where someone would want to oscillate a given parameter in a given VST plugin.

How often do you really need that precise of an LFO pattern with really high controller resolution though? The examples given above were to simply oscillate a knob in a VST a bit with a given pattern/amplitude over a given time envelope. My ears aren’t good enough to detect 1ms or less inaccuracies, and 128 is usually plenty of resolution for any effect my monitors are capable of translating, and my ears are capable of detecting.

Obviously YOU have situations where you DO need that kind of precision and resolution…so, for that kind of precision requirement I personally would not be using a plugin VST effect directly in a CuBase mixer’s VST slot anyway. My first inclination would be to design the sound in a virtual synth instead (HALion 6 in my case) using its built in LFO and effect features. If I really needed a hybrid mix of plugins to get the job done…with CuBase in mind, I’d wire it up inline in a bidule instance (or some other similar ‘host in a host’ tool).

Hey, I’ve got an old school work-flow. I don’t try to force the DAW to shape my sounds when all that stuff can be done in the ‘instruments’ themselves. I’ve been doing it that way so long that I really never missed, or cared that CuBase could not do it. Having said that, I do wish CuBase had more native automation lanes for more things…such as arming/disarming tracks. Transport controls. Etc.

Personally I’ve never needed to oscillate a parameter living somewhere in a CuBase Mixer effect slot via LFO on a long ‘audio track’. I can see the creative potential in doing so, but I’ve got plugins in my tool box that can usually do that sort of phasing/pumping/side-chaining by their own right (no need to pump a control via automation). I grab the right plugin that generates the effect I have in mind, instead of trying to force some other plugin to do something tricky. I tend to think of a mix from the subtleties of my instruments up, instead of from the host down, and I know I usually have a plugin at hand that can generate the kind of oscillating effect I might have in mind internally. Maybe it’s not the most efficient way in today’s cutting edge studios…but oh well…old habits die hard.

Using bidule is a bit different topic of course…as that’s a third party app that isn’t free, nor ‘cheap’, and has a pretty steep learning curve. In short, with Bidule I’d build a chain that includes the sample accurate LFO generator, the effect(s) plugin(s) I want to automate with it, and set up a real VST lane to drive it from Cubase if automated user tweaks are required for some reason.

Bidule is a staple sound design and routing tool for me (my favorite swiss army knife), with any DAW I use, simply because it fills so many ‘feature gaps’ that can be missing from any given DAW. It’s a powerhouse for intercepting the data streams (both MIDI and Audio) at almost any point in a system configuration, analyzing it, and manipulating it. It also fills alot of gaps in popular synth/sampler engines, and allows me to merge and meld any number of plugins into one massive ‘seamless instrument’. I can snoop and alter pretty much any audio or MIDI event in real time with extreme precision. Mix and match any assortment of VST or VSTi (ATX, AU, etc.) plugins I like, and automate any of it via VST, MIDI, OSC, etc. With a bit of practice, Bidule isn’t a bad little synth/sampler engine in its own right.

MIDI delay in a loopback that is detectable by the human ear? I believe you, but it’s not something I’ve had an issue with when running remote maps via MIDI track in this manner. It’s pretty dawg gone well in sync with the transport, and there are settings tweaks to match up live controller manipulation with ASIO driver latency. I’ve no need to ‘push’ such a setup to sample accurate precision since I have instruments like Bidule and HALion 6. For the types of projects I do in Cubase, it’s not often I’d want lfo on a VST effect control/parameter that lives in an effect slot on a CuBase mixer anyway, and why it would need to be ‘sample accurate’ to oscillate some virtual knob in a VST effect is a new one to me. For something that really needs that kind of sample by sample precision…I personally would design the sound in HALion from the top down (or with Bidule if I needed a hybrid mix of synths/samplers/effects) anyway…as one can pile on all the LFOs he likes (plus crossfade among them, and so much more)…could even drive them with side-chain audio signals etc.

Having droned on with all this…
I agree…Steinberg should add a simple LFO generator for writing its VST events on an automation lane. Should be simple enough to do right? Judging by this thread, a significant amount of users out there ‘want to do this’ for some reason.

+1

(but not just a simple sine based LFO: a complex LFO and ADSR/Envelopes)

1 Like

Your workarounds are perfect

Just to acknowledge the very great ideas that are behind them

I am thinking Steinberg could use some of your ideas to create a routing similar&superior to other sequencers

Forgot to mention…
When I want to solo/mute groups of track together via single clicks (of any mixture of track type(s)), I’ll put them in a folder together real quick. If keeping multiple ‘versions’, I’ll duplicate the tracks first…

The entire folder can then be soloed/muted in one click from Project View. It’s not handy from the Mixer, but it can be assigned to a remote control rather quickly…I’m spoiled by multiple screens too, so it’s no big deal doing it from the project window.

Thank you for sharing

+1

+1

Cubase is behind in this department

+1000 YES!

I’m going nuts lacking these options. I find myself using Reaktor for this, even though I have other VST’s I’d much rather use.

+1. It is easy to realize something like LFO tools. I hope this feature can be added quick.

I just found this thread when teaching to see if cubase could do this, what a simple idea but so powerful

Sorry for chiming so late guys but did you look at Cableguys | MidiShaper and their other similar products. While you’re there take a look at their tutorial for Cubase users: Cableguys | Audio Plugins

Also interesting: How to Use the New Cubase Pro 9.5 Automation with MIDI CC | Cubase Q&A with Greg Ondo - YouTube

2 Likes

+1 for building it inside of Cubase too!

Another +1
Cubase is obsolete in that department. Limiting sound design a lot. Not to mention fact that such LFO can add life to audio tracks with very small changes going through the entire track.

But it should be more complex than just MIDI Effect: LFO with 3 basic shapes and no control of anything besides that.

GuitarRig6 has very good modulators that can be assigned to any parameter in the plugin.
If we only could have MIDI Effects like this and be able to assign it to any plugin parameter… Maybe one day

2 Likes

Another +1.

AutoLFO (nice as it is) doesn’t cut it.

I’ve owned Cubase for 20+ years now, but found myself looking for a discounted copy of Bitwig today, just for the “modulation heaven” it promises.

+1 for LFO and ENV’S to control any controllable midi parameter without hassle

I don’t know if it helps for your specific use, but you can use Retrologue’s filters can LFO, effects etc to work with any audio track in your session. Just create a new instance of Retrologue and click on the side chain button. Add the track where your source audio is in. Then set the send to the side chain to be post fader and turn down the volume of your original track.
In retrologue turn off any oscillator and up the volume of the external. You will hear audio as long as you have a MIDI note (random one) playing in Retrologues track. From that point on you’ll be able to use retrologue’s controls to affect your original track.

I hope this was clear. It’s far easier to show this kind of things than try to explain them writing.

Happy new year

Here’s some other sweet threads with LFO requests:

LFO - MIDI routing from and to every MIDI source.

LFO automation and more LFO functions in Cubase?

LFO Tracks

1 Like