Ligature in French style

I’d love to see “french beaming” in Dorico, as a former Sibelius user I used it on my own scores. It surely lightens the score, good for contemporary music.
Cross fingers…

2 Likes

It would be great to finally have french beams in Dorico as well as controlling the thickness and separation for beams globally in order to being able to reproduce some publishers’ house-styles.

1 Like

Khey Jawhar!

I think the JSON file can already handles the changes you mentioned, except D4 -weirdly- still doesn’t take these in consideration, see below:

1 Like

Hi Nor! Yes indeed I have mentioned this earlier to Daniel on the Facebook group as well.

1 Like

Dorico doesn’t (currently) provide control over beam thickness and beam separation on a global level because its algorithms for beam positioning, snapping and slants depend on the values that are used by default. There is in any case a very narrow range of values that can usefully be used for beam thickness and spacing, but nevertheless significant testing effort would be required to ensure that the results were acceptable when using other values. We certainly don’t rule it out for the future.

IMO if you’re going to do it, you mustn’t let the staff lines show. I imagine that might be quite difficult.

Filling in the spaces between the beams with opaque white rectangles would be a bit of a pain, but not beyond the wit of man. But I doubt that’s ever been done in published editions, has it? Or have I been leading a sheltered life and missing out on a crazy world of engraved music where the engraver put the notes and beams in first and then added the staff lines at the end?!

The Leduc sample in Fred’s #7, above. I’m sure on an actual plate the staff lines were already crowded out, and just not re-scored (as they normally were after most punching).