LilyPond to Dorico?

Hi, I am not a user of LilyPond, but I found a Lilypond file from a piece by Orlando di Lasso, I would like to transform to Dorico.
Is there a simple converter from LilyPond to MusicXML, which creates MusicXML files, which are usable in Dorico? If there is too much manual tweaking involved, I will go the Photscore Ultimate road using a PDF file from the LilyPond file.

There is a tool within lilypond for converting to xml.

Hmh, if I read the description correct, this method is to convert a XML file into .ly. I need the other way round.

Hello @HeiPet,speaking as a professional engraver with ten years plus experience in Lilypond, you can import MusicXML into Lilypond, thought I have never seen this work very well, and at this stage there is no support for exporting to MusicXML, although there is one experimental external library. This is not what Lilypond focuses on, so you would be better look elsewhere.

The only practical thing I can offer is that if it is not dozens of pages I could crank it out in Dorico for you if you want. PM me,

Oh, sorry. :flushed:

A better search suggests there isn’t really such a tool. It might be possible using some heavy python, but for a one-off, you might be best off with scanning a PDF – or using the PDFtoMusic app that reverse engineers the PDF back to the lines and font symbols that it’s made from.

Thank you for answers and your time, @benwiggy and @Andro. I will take the Scan road. I will try both, Photoscore Ulitmate and PDFtoMusic Pro, and see, which one works best.

No chance. This is a very difficult task which is too taxing for the development team for Lilypond even over the last twenty years or so. It can be termed non trivial, mapping between entirely different musci representations, and with a lot of lossage along the way. As said, this is not a focus of the Lilypond team,

@HeiPet: What is the Lasso piece you wanted to import in Dorico?

There are surely not that many pieces by Lassus that are very long. Unless yours is one of them, I suggest you just input it by hand. :smiley:

David

I want to convert the whole collection “Cantiones Duarum Vocum”, which contains 24 pieces for two voices on 19 pages. Very Covid friendly setting …

1 Like

Where are you getting your lilypond source from then?

I took a look at that work on IMSLP. You could input these into Dorico in a matter of minutes, even if a beginner, I feel sure.

Ah, I see. IMSLP, unusually, has Lilypond source.

If you’re going to type it in anyway, I’d use the original 1577 printed source (which is also on IMSLP), rather than someone’s edition.

1 Like

@benwiggy My thoughts exactly.

Here’s a page of a bassus part. Are there fonts that can set this for Dorico?

If it helps, I arranged the first 10 for 2 cellos many years ago… I’ve crudely dragged them into Dorico. There may be errors!
Lassus-10canciones.dorico (515.4 KB)

1 Like

You can create a notehead set using the Medieval & Renaissance noteheads within Bravura, setting the stem positions in the middle.

But generally, either do it in modern notation or just use the scan. :wink:

Thanks a lot @Janus, tihs is very helpful. I am a lazy person and try to avoid typinig music in by hand whenever possible … :slight_smile:
I’m not going to do any research or publication with pieces. Just trying out, if they are of any use for a brass arrangement (trumpet and trombone or 2 trombones).

Orlando di Lasso - 12 Motets.dorico (1.4 MB) (needs proof reading).

And you will find the 15 bicinia here on imslp (arrangements for trumpet and trombone even): Bicinia (Lassus, Orlande de) - IMSLP: Free Sheet Music PDF Download

You will also see midi versions of the pieces - which you may also import into Dorico, if you need to.