Lin One Dither and Noise?

I wonder why we would want to increase the apparent signal to noise ratio?

Can someone explain to me the reason for such a button in a dither plugin like Lin’s?

Lin One Dither (steinberg.help)

Noise Shaping
Activates/Deactivates noise shaping. Noise shaping increases the apparent signal-to-noise ratio.

For audio the discussion always becomes way too long and no one can actually hear the difference. But for visual, anyone can see it. Similar effects as these picture in the link is happening to audio when the width is reduced.

https://klaushill.com/what-is-dither-by-eddie-bazil/

An other visual page about it.

Thanks for your references, however my question is not about Dithering in general, my question is about the button called “Noise Shaping” that the new Cubase 12 Dithering has, as I don’t understand very well the functionality of said button…

in which cases is it used such a button? I just don’t get it

Captura de Pantalla 2022-09-20 a la(s) 19.18.46

The problem with the Steinberg manuals is that they never give enough information about its functions, and sometimes they are very vague explanations that do not help to understand its uses…

A higher signal to noise ratio is a good thing: This means that your music or samples (the signal) are louder than unintended noise.

By applying some noise shaping to the dither, we can reduce how much of that dither noise will be present around 400 Hz - 6000 Hz, which is the frequency range we’re the most sensitive to. The noise is pushed towards 10000 Hz and higher, which is less potentially audible during quiet passages (See: Equal-loudness contour)

Pay attention to the sine wave in this graph:

Disabling noise shaping (TPDF dithering) means that the noise is now evenly distributed across the entire frequency range:

The sine wave from before is basically swimming in noise. In other words, the apparent signal to noise ratio is worse.

The benefits and drawbacks of dither noise shaping have been discussed to death over many years. I would recommend googling about it so you can form your own opinion, but for the most part this isn’t something you have to worry about if you’re working with modern music.

That said, I think the new Lin One Dither is superior to the old UV22HR plug-in that used to be included with Cubase. The UV22HR had extremely exaggerated noise shaping that couldn’t be turned off. You can’t go wrong with either Lin One setting.

1 Like

Wonderful review, @Romantique_Tp , thank you!

To my simple mind:
The S/N ratio isn’t changing, the apparent S/N is (it’s increasing), by “shaping” the dither noise. In this case “shaping”'means concentrating the energy into the frequencies where we hear it less (F-M curves, etc.).

If this is a harmful model, plazas correct me, thank you!

1 Like

That’s correct, I’ll reword that part a bit to avoid confusion.

I guess your version of Lin is from Wave Lab?..

Version of Cubase is different as it is not possible to choose the type of Noise Shaping…