Line breaks in {@flowComposer@}

hello,
I imported a file via music.xml format.
In the composer field a line break was shown - as in the imported file.
I looked up the project info in Dorico.
Here I could only see empty spaces (probably with some hidden info about the line break).
Anyway, I started to experiment:
If I put into the project info field {n} I would get a line break - but with {n} visible at the end of the first line.
If I put into the project info field [n] I would get a line break - but with [n] visible at the beginning of the second line.

So I guess there must be some (hidden) commands we could use to get line breaksā€¦

Did someone get any further here?

Off the top of my head I canā€™t tell you what the character codes are. What I do know is that Iā€™ve happily been copying and pasting both line break characters and tab characters from Microsoft Word into the various Project Info fields in Dorico, and they seem to display correctly in the score itself.

ah, so we should just google for them: line break code Microsoft Word?

^l (lowercase L) Manual line break
^p Paragraph break
^n Column break
^m Manual page break
^b Section break
^t Tab character

ā€¦ they stay visibleā€¦

if I put in it also gives a line break (but stays visibleā€¦)

1 Like

Yep. What Iā€™m saying is that you create the line break or tab space in Word. With ā€œparagraph marksā€ visible in Word, line breaks (for example) show as a kind of arrow, similar to the arrow that exists on the Return/Enter key on certain computer keyboards. If you paste that paragraph mark into Dorico from Word, it will remain invisible but force the next character(s) onto the following line.

This certainly works for the ā€œmore informationā€ field - I canā€™t speak for the ā€œcomposerā€ field as Iā€™ve not tried there.

I am searching for a native solution to solve this issue as well. I do not see how old this post is. Sometimes composer or lyricist text ist colliding in my project with a text of the flow name. I would like to be able to decide where a would break a line without opening third part application like Word etc. For example:

Text:
Name Surname
Year

or

Text: Name Surname
Year

or

Text: Name Surname Year

Is there some native solution for now?

No, there isnā€™t.
Edit for clarity: exactly the same workarounds are available as two years ago, but there are no new ones.

Thank you pianoleo for so quick response. Would appreciate very much if Dorico team would consider to implement such solution in a future updates.

pianoleo, sorry, I am still hanging on this topic as I need a solution. I opened Word on my Mac any way I am not able to find this setting. Would help me please what exactly I do have to check? I am on a newest Word 2019ā€¦

You can surely create different master pages with something like:

Text: {@lyricist@} {@year@}

or

Text: {@lyricist@}
{@year@}

or
Text:
{@lyricist@}
{@year@}

and apply the one you need for your specific layout.

You could also put this information in the flow header in different variations and apply different flow header changes.

Btw, these are only pseudo-Tokens, you can also use whatever flow/project information field you want to use and insert the right token.

Thank you very much for your idea. This could be a solution any way a quite unintuitive one. How many FlowHeadings would you create when there is some collision between more than 2 elements? For example FlowName, Composer and Lyricist? I would still suggest - Dorico team do have to take it in considerationā€¦ Conceptually it seams Dorico creates a rule first and then on top of it comes with a solution as exception. Like hiding staves. You must hide all empty staves and then ā€œallowā€ not to be hidden some of them instead just to choose what you would like to hide. I miss somehow simplicity hereā€¦

It totally depends on the context. Usually I create my Headings in a way that no collision is possible, so I donā€™t usually need any additional flow headers.
But again, this is exremely context dependend. I would create a new one for any case that the existing one doesnā€™t work. But I would also consider using only the adjusted one for consistency throughout the whole file.

As for hiding staves: AFAIK you donā€™t need to enable ā€œhide stavesā€ in Layout Options first but can just hide any staff by double clicking system breaks.

Yes; this is why I requested a year or two ago that two or three generic data fields would be added too. My poor little brain sometimes gets confused when I use a clearly labeled token for something it is not meant for; conversely I have an easier time when I just use ā€œother infoā€. Iā€™d just also love an ā€œother info 2ā€ and ā€œother info 3ā€ for instance. Also, if I had my druthers ā€œcomposition yearā€ would be changed to ā€œComposition dateā€ too. I often mark specific dates if I write the whole thing in one day. Thatā€™s a little thing, but it just feels weird typing in a month and day into a ā€œyearā€ category. We artists are ā€˜sensitiveā€™ soulsā€¦ lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree. I also misuse some fields sometimes (mostly the lyricist because I usually donā€™t have one :wink: ). Some more ā€œother infoā€ or ā€œgeneric token fieldsā€ would be really nice, but itā€™s not a big hustle.

1 Like

True, and no doubt the team will rightly ask, ā€œbut where does it end?ā€ And then the only sufficient (if unreasonable?) answer I could give would be user definable fields/tokens. But that would open up whole cans of worms which I doubt are very worth tackling right now.

ā€¦except now thereā€™s Manual Staff Visibility, which means you donā€™t have to hide all empty staves first.

Edit: sorry, I see @klafkid got there first!

While I certainly agree that line breaks should be possible in any field (pro tip: you donā€™t need to outsource to word to insert one; just use the ā€œother fieldā€ to format the line breaks where you want them and then copy that field up to its final target field) donā€™t forget that thereā€™s also a composer dates token (which should probably be put up next to the composer field). Hereā€™s a little mockup of what I mean.

I want to support the request for line breaks in tokens and/or for flexible flow headers (and footers).
I do a lot of collections with very different pieces. Some have only one movement, some have two or more movements and need subtitles. Some have only a composer and some also have an arranger and so on. It would be very time saving, if Dorico could have flexible flow headings, where empty fields are left out and/or line breaks automatically adjust the height of a text field.
A big problem are copyright entries. Some copyrights only need one line, but there are a lot of companies, who demand an epic copyright notice with a lot of lines. A flexible flow footer would be brilliant! Just dreaming ā€¦
So far I normally end up with lotā€™s of flow heading changes and with lotā€™s of red triangles and all the magic of Doricoā€™s automatisms is gone.

flow footers have also been requested in the past and this is something I would really welcome.

I would LOVE flexible flow headers where you could define the order the fields should appear if data is assigned to them for that flow but that remain hidden if there is no data. I suppose in theory you could craft a flow header to achieve this already, but it would leave all sorts of blank space on the ones that only have a little bit of text. Still though, this would be rather clever.