line design question

I tried to design a line, which I used this SVG symbol
屏幕快照 2020-05-30 20.49.34.png
I looks good.

but after I turn the line around, in different direction, it looks not normal, some part of the line was hided.

but when I import this same symbol as a Font, it works well. but this process is complicated. I have to make a font file, I hope we can use an SVG file directly when we design a line.

Can you upload the original SVG?

sure, this is the original SVG, actually, you can use any kind of SVG symbol to create a line, and they have the same issue,
but after I use a font transfer tool icomoon, and tried to import the symbol from font library (not svg)
No problem. so I believe Dorico should improve this function.

I believe this Forum doesn’t allow me to upload a SVG file…
so you can download the file in this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_TGze2kRf3JtR2CSrSXVhv-stS8mCxG/view?usp=sharing

It looks to me like instead of trying to “hide” part of the line, it is trying to make the thick top parts of the line perfectly flat (horizontally level) instead of allowing them to be at an angle like the bottom of the line. Although I’m not sure why it is trying to force those to be perfectly flat.

I would guess there is a rectangular viewport that clips the data from the symbol when it is drawn, and somewhere in the software, somebody didn’t rotate the viewport when they rotated the symbol. (The “somebody” isn’t necessarily a Steinberg employee - it could be a bug in Qt, or a basic limitation of how SVG graphics work.)

but in Sibelius, there’s no this kind of issue. In Sibelius we can put a SVG symbol in anywhere and rotate it, blow up it…So I don’t think this is the limitation of SVG file.

Your SVG consist of four line segments, each with a heavy ‘stroke’ property. The line segments are not linked, only the strokes overlap. Although it’s a valid SVG, I can imagine that the stroke widths might get distorted if the image is rotated. My guess is that the bounding box only ‘sees’ the endpoints of the line segments, and clips the strokes.
I would suggest to change the SVG into an outlined shape, without stroke width, but with a black fill, like a character in a font.

I said it “could be”. I’m got going to explore every possible app that handles SVG file, and read every line of the SVG specification, just to answer a question here.

Sibelius might convert the SVG data into a different graphics format internally to make it possible to rotate it, for example.

I played a bit with you SVG, and re-created it as a filled outline in an SVG editor. I gave it the fill:black property.
florian514pattern.svg.zip (1.01 KB)
I created a new horizontal line using this modified SVG as line segment, and tried rotating it. Unfortunately, to no avail… the symbols are still clipped to a bounding box that doesn’t fit, or more precisely: that isn’t rotated along with the symbol. It may be a limitation of the Qt framework, but that’s just a guess.
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-01 om 15.21.35.png
Next step could be turning it into a 1-glyph font. “Left as an exercise to the reader” for now, I’m afraid :stuck_out_tongue: .
My test file:
SVG-line_Florian514.dorico.zip (557 KB)

I use a font transfer tool icomoon, and tried to import the symbol from font library (not as svg)
No problem. so I believe Dorico should improve this function.
like this:

Thanks for the report, the problem is indeed that although the svg images were correctly rotated, their clipping rectangle stayed axis-aligned. We will fix this.