Linear time base, Musical time base, Musical Mode confusing terminology

I have tried to drop a sample with its original tempo, but it does not work. Changing the preferences has no effect as well as clicking the musical mode icon on the inspector. The only way to disable the musical mode is via track editor.
I have also encountered some strange behaviour with the track as seen in the video.

I think these manual entries will be helpful.

The Musical/Linear Time Base button on the track header seems to be what you reference.

Musical Mode is an audio file parameter, controlled from the Pool, the info line of an Audio Event or from within the Sample Editor.

1 Like

To expand on @steve 's explanation the Audio File isn’t set to Musical Mode which controls whether the Audio expands & contracts with the Tempo.

The changes you are making to Preferences are irrelevant to playback behavior. They just determine what settings are used when a new Track is initially created.

2 Likes

I thought there use to be an option to change default settings for dropped audio between musical and linear mode?

If you are talking about the “Time Base”, it is located in Preferences under Editing, and is called Default Track Time Type.

There’s no such thing as linear mode - it’s Musical Mode Enabled/Not Enabled

And yes the terminology is unnecessarily confusing.

2 Likes

Why not? You can say the same about “musical” there’s no such thing, just a made up word put into dictionary.

1 Like

No. As others are saying, you are confounding the terms.

Yes there is. I found it now, this is what I was referring to all along. And yes, two different musical modes makes it really confusing. You guys should probably rename this function to “Tempo Mode” and “project tempo” or "clip tempo " as options. @steve

1 Like

I see what you mean, I was confused by the same terminology for two different things.

We can’t do that, the developers would do that, of course.

I would make a feature request but I consider this to be a bug, because it confuses users.

1 Like

Anyway, you understand now, that’s what’s important.

This has been discussed many times over the years, so I’ll close this topic. Of course anyone may link to this thread in a newly created one.

1 Like