Lines not showing in Engrave Mode

Just to add to @Derrek 's post. You can also add mid-bar repeat barlines using the shift-b method. Use colons and pipe (eg. :|:)

This is useful for all those repeat sections that start/end with an upbeat.

Excellent – thank you! I’m not sure that this is noted in the relevant page of the ‘manual’ but I might have missed it.

You can input barlines anywhere like all other notations. However, as barlines are linked to the meter, normal barlines that you input in the middle of existing bars are treated like a hidden time signature and can affect subsequent music, as mentioned here (although admittedly this isn’t my favourite bit of writing in the manual).

(And I’ve learnt something too. Thank you!)

You can insert a dotted barline with shift-b colon.

See Dorico 3.5 Operation Manual p245 for allowable options (Though it doesn’t mention the mid bar carat entry method)

If you follow the link in my post above to the set of steps for inputting barlines, you should find mention of inputting barlines when the caret is active mentioned. If you’re referring to the bars and barlines popover reference, it does indeed contain tables for the different possible entries for barlines and also adding/deleting bars and beats. You can navigate quickly to each table using the “on this page” links on the top right.

Reference material in any Steinberg manual won’t provide specific steps, and likewise steps won’t go into too much detail about what things are or all the possible popover entries. It’s one of the ways we keep information tidy and manageable.

Thank you very much for all this. I only wanted a dotted barline, and trying this appears not to reset the time sig so this should work fine. I appreciate the detailed explanations.
For some reason, Lillie, the page you kindly referenced didn’t come up in my search – very helpful.

What did you search, as that might help me improve the metadata for future users?

Lillie, no disrespect. We all know you are constrained by Steinberg’s house style for documentation. However the plethora of requests on this forum for ‘how do I do…?’ suggests that navigating the manual to solve a specific problem is proving a challenge for many Dorico users.

Your First Steps document is excellent. Would you consider creating a similar Tips and Tricks document? I’m sure the community would be willing to contribute topics from their own experience that would help new users.

Ha – I think initially it was something like ‘Dorico, false (also custom) barline’. That’s the terminology I had been used to in Finale. I think I also tried mid-measure barline. None of these appeared to reference the pages you have now indicated – at least for me.

Whilst I understand your broader point, I wouldn’t want the excellent advice, support, and structure offered by my manuals team colleagues to be mischaracterised as “constraining”. Authoring and maintaining the level of detail we aim to offer Dorico users in a single manual is quite a job, and I for one find the structured approach incredibly helpful when writing new documentation and when I go over existing docs that need updating. However, I don’t want to rehash or get stuck into old and well-worn discussions about documentation structure because a) they’ve been had, and b) I have documentation to write.

There already are various resources out there, both from Dorico colleagues and other users, that aim to offer information in bite-size chunks. For example, my colleague Ant’s Tips Tuesday videos. More are listed by John Barron on his excellent Resources page.

If someone manages to add a 25th hour in the day, I may well consider adding the creation of additional resources to my to-do list. For now at least, you could consider some of the excellent posts on this now-more-easily-searchable forum to constitute something of a community tips-and-tricks resource already, in addition to the First Steps guide and other resources linked above.

Thank you, that’s good to know - I’ve made a note.

Those lines you’ve drawn look like they ought to be Repeat Endings. Could you not use those?

Screenshot

As I said, no disrespect to the work of you or your colleagues.

But I think you are missing a trick, which would both make your lives easier and your product more successful.

Please feel free to create such a document and share it with the community, as others have done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the thought but not quite that simple. It’s an optional cut with other considerations as well! Will double-check that I can’t get away with a repeat structure but I’m doubtful. Worth a go though.

Happy to do so. Can you please point me to where “…others have already done”?

There’s a Third party section on the Resources page already linked above, but you can also refer to the thread for new users that Daniel so lovingly put together for links to e.g. @DanKreider’s guide:

You could also start you own thread proposing what you want to do, its scope, the sort of format you envision it taking, how it might be updated as the software updates etc and I’m sure you’ll receive input from forum users there.

Do remember that repeat sections can have custom text, so you aren’t constrained to 1. & 2. etc. You can suppress the numbers and type exactly what you’ve shown in the photo above. Playback will be wonky, but it will look correct.

Thank you – I’ve not yet had occasion to use repeats so I’ll certainly give it a go.

1 Like

Dan Kreider created a Guide for the Beginner back in 2017 I think, it was version 2. I helped him because by then I was more familiar with Dorico than he was (coming from Finale), and I translated his work into French. Those documents are still available, well referenced and still very useful. It’s only a matter of creating something really