Link Channels then add VCA

So - in PTs I would always start by linking (or grouping as it’s called in PT’s) such as toms, overheads, room mics, multi miked acoustics, pianos, etc. that way I could control volumes for things that I wanted to stay together. Inevitably, when I wanted to bring the entire volume level of all tracks down, I could just select “all” and pull them all down. Simple.

Now in cubase, there is no way to link all these individually and also have them in a second link for an “all” move. I like the VCA option, but it won’t add - say - the toms if they are individually linked already. I guess I could group all those channels I want linked such as toms, OHs, room, etc…and then use a VCA but that’s ridiculous.

So - is there a way to have a VCA channel and have sub links within it?

I’d use a group/buss

VCA’s can be nested, so you could have a VCA for drums, VCA for vox, aso
Then make a VCA, that controls these VCA, that should give you some more flexibility.
Or just use groups as said :slight_smile:

That just seems like a pain in the ass and not as efficient as pt. It’s crazy that you can’t link within a VCA. Guess the workaround is to group all instruments as stems and then run them to a VCA channel. Just wish there was a quick way to link - say three toms - momentarily so you only have to use one move to pull them all up at the same time. But if you link them, it destroys the link to the VCA.

1 Like

Can’t you just select the 3 tracks and hit “Quick Link”, adjust then deselect ?

This made me laugh. Mixing has never been so fast, easy, powerful, efficient, etc. People will always find something to complain about. Nest your VCAs. Problem solved.