Linked Editing of two stereo files in WL11?

Hi there,

I have recorded a piano with two pairs of stereo microphones. It’s for a sample library. I would like to edit both stereo signals at the same time (e.g. making cuts, fades, … ).

How can I open the two stereo files so they show up as a “multi” view in WL? Would love to use the regular audio file editing (love it!), not the audio montage.

Thanks!!

Hi!

Can I ask why not Montage ?
Please do it with a Montage it’s so much easier to do in there
use 2 stereo Tracks > Edit tab > Auto Grouping
use Siblings or > Ripple use Global
when done Render to what you need

regards S-EH

Thanks!

I have to edit/export 3500+ single files out of long recordings, and I find the fine tuning (doing and judging fades, cutting microseconds of silence in intros etc., plus re-saving the files) so much easier in the audio editor than in the Montage …

I can flip through the single tones rather quickly, whereas with the montage, I have to do a lot of additional mouse work, which adds up …

Just tried the Audio Montage - it works, but takes indeed a lot longer for microscopic word. Also, fades seem not to be grouped with auto grouping.

With the audio editor, I could just extract a highlighted element of a recording into a new file (via shortcut), work on it, save it and be done …

Thanks again!

Nicolay

It’s possible to select all and then select a Fader point
hold down Alt key, now drag Fader to your liking and release Alt key
works from the start Fade in and vice versa Fade out,
the beauty with Montage editing, you can always go back
and change your mind

regards S-EH

If this is a file once in a while, there is a trick, but with some additional steps:

1. Create an empty Quadro file, like this:

2. then copy/paste the contents of your two stereo files on each stereo cluster

3. do your editing

4. copy/paste back the data to where you like and save.

Use a proper audio connection setting, as some channels are directed to Ls/Rs.

Got it, thanks for the hint. Good to know it does work!

Thanks PG!

Yes, it’s just a couple of large files that I need to load in order to copy/paste all the single samples out of it.

It’s easiest if I save all the single samples in quadro mode, too. Is it possible to split all the 3,500 quadro samples into two stereo clusters afterwards via the batch processor?

Yes, I have just tried it. You need to use the following option, which I think is unique to WaveLab :wink:
However, since two names need to be generated, then if you have piano.wav, you will get piano1.wav and piano2.wav. Some batch renaming post-stage might then be required.

Ah, thanks! That looks promising. Batch renaming is not an issue at all … The hard part is the endless hours of editing ;-))

Hi PG,

I’m planning to do a similar recording with 2 stereo pairs plus two mono microphones (so - 6 tracks, 2 stereo signals, 2 mono signals) … Any idea which “cluster” file I should create to handle these best?

Thanks!

You could simply use the standard 5.1, even if the mapping has nothing to see with surround.
And if you want independent files, use the following file format:

Will do - thanks!

Hi PG,

when I edit multiple files with “zero crossing” engaged, does WL automatically set any selection at a zero crossing for all the files involved? Or just the first stereo pair?

It sounds to me like a challenge/contradicting issue, cutting at a zero crossing point for all files, when the sample relationship of the tracks might not have one at the given point …

That would mean the marker would shift automatically to a position where all tracks have a zero crossing point … Maybe I’m getting this totally wrong, though?

I tried to check it visually, but I’m not sure I got any wiser, I’m afraid :slight_smile:

Are you speaking about multiple channels? Or multiple stereo files?

I meant multiple stereo files - thanks!

Ok, but in the current WaveLab version, how are you “editing multiple files at the same time”?

Ah, sorry. Technically it’s multiple channels … I’m using a “quadro surround” file per your suggestion above to contain two stereo files.

Then indeed, zero crossing is only searched on the first stereo pair.