Linux and eLicenser

Well, let me introduce myself first. I’m a 24-year old software developer (freelancer), also I have a hobby. I like to write orchestral music in my free time, but I can’t do this in full on my main operating system. I should use old Edirol Orchestral or “shitty” SFZ libraries that don’t sound good.

I have written to VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library) and asked them about the possibility of VSL to come on Linux. And they said that they could compile their plug-ins for Linux, but there is no sense because eLCC doesn’t work on Linux. So, what about giving us this opportunity? I don’t ask you to port your music software products on Linux because I understand that’s a really expensive task. But I don’t think that bringing eLCC on Linux and supporting of USB eLicenser it’s so hard. I hate Windows 10 because of its annoying behavior :angry: Updating when the system wants, rebooting when the system wants, and so on.

So, please, do this for us. Bring eLCC and USB eLicenser support on Linux. Allow us to create without limits :smiley:

Well, as I see there are several threads on the forum when the users are asking for Linux support by Steinberg products, but I think they don’t understand that porting such products is hard and time-consuming. But no one is even write something in this thread about my propose. So, any Linux users on this forum, do you really think that Steinberg will ever support Linux on their big products if you aren’t asking them for supporting of small products? Let’s motivate them to come on Linux, let’s show them that we are ready to pay for their products, and we aren’t a strange “crackers” that want to get free software, but we just people who love Linux for its freedom.

I dont think Steinberg/Yamaha understand whats going on. Many film studios with big rendering farms move to linux environments for it’s superior performance. Audio processing is also a part of the flow, you need linux support have a piece of this cake. But I also think the model with Ilok/elicenser won’t be suitable either.

The only opportunity I see is to develop a free alternative of Kontakt sampler available for all platforms because most libraries use it. But I’m not sure it will worth it.

I support the bring Steinberg to the Linux movement.
Even I wish that Steinberg forks its product to fit into Linux and be usable for Linux userbase as well

We’ve been discussing Cubase for Linux since 2014 but many are opposed to the option.

I don’t know of a single studio with big rendering farms that is also running DAWs on linux. As far as I know it’s all Windows or OSX for audio.

And yeah, I’m pretty sure Steinberg and Yamaha are very aware of what’s going on.

The picture part is moving. Audio will follow for convenience and efficiency. In a few year it will moved to cloud for smaller studios that can not have their own farms. I dont think a the DAW will move however you need to deliver your work to something that fits to the rendering facility. For music it might be good enough with steams, however the sound effect part will require a lot more.

No, you’re wrong.

The work is split out when the projects get large. VFX work gets done not just by employees at Universal (or Disney or whatever) but Weta etc. They have their own infrastructure. If they need audio assets they’re either going to get Pro Tools sessions in .ptx format (or Nuendo .npr projects), or they’re going to get audio files. Both are platform agnostic.

When it comes to actual recording, sound design and re-recording it’s pretty much all Pro Tools, and none of it Linux.

The idea that a big company would switch over “for convenience” just doesn’t seem likely at all.

I don’t also think that such giants like Steinberg, Yamaha, NI, and others ever will start to develop for Linux. It’s not the point for them because their main customers are using Windows or OSX, and don’t plan to switch to Linux. I also don’t know any commercial DAW, except BitWig, that support Linux in their main line of development. Yes, Reaper (honestly not big DAW) has added the experimental support for Linux, but I’m afraid it may be discarded in the near future. We can hope, but it’s just hope and nothing bigger =)

I’m a professional musician with several soundtracks and works registered in my IMBD page (not considering all the ones that were never registered here):

Taking into consideration all the reactions coming for the big corporate and Steinberg’s “fanboys” to a simple request, this only adds to my conviction that more and more, such people don’t deserve any respect what so ever.

I simply can’t stand blind arguments followed by snob self righteous attitudes.

1st - If Steinberg (or any other developer) only could sold its software to professional studios, they had long ago declared bankruptcy. An huge pie of the profits comes from the regular musician, yes, the ones that also want to change to Linux.

2nd - Only uninformed people ignore that Micrsoft policies are more and more intrusive violating many personal freedom convictions. Regarding the technical side of it, the latest “Windows OS” (10 and 11) take a lot of CPU cycles performing only Microsoft “self-imposed-operations” creating high DPC latency and interrupt problems for ASIO drivers leaving less CPU power for what really matter to the musician (yes, even after a considerable OS tuning and the deactivation of many bloatware, by the users that know how to do it).

3rd - Only egocentric people can argue to deny to others the right to asks for alternatives. The arguments normally are always the same: “the pros do it this way so, this is the right ways and so you don’t need to do it in any other way”.
So lame and the funny thing is that, many times such arguments comes from aspiring amateurs.

Only for reference about software:
I started using MIDI sequencers when computer DAWs were not a thing. The fist (kind-of) DAW I used was the “Harmoni” (1987) in the “Commodore Amiga” computer, only later I switched for the PC ecosystem using the “Digital Orchestrator Pro” (1995). I used the first versions of Nuendo (2000). Now, I use Reaper (since version 4) with no regrets what so ever, and please, don’t even start about ProTools, that buggy piece of garbage.

I agree in that I also believe a large portion of sales comes from hobbyists. But what makes you think that these “regular musicians” would prefer to swap over to Linux? In my mind, someone that uses a DAW as a hobby, would prefer to use whatever computer they already have available and chances are, that’s a Windows or Mac computer.

I for instance would change for Linux if ILok and eLicence supported it. I got stuck with “Windows 7”, since “Windows 10” does not deliver (for the reasons I already stated above and then some more).
I see no reason to reinvest in new hardware since the one I have is very stable, reliable and fast on “Windows 7”.
Logically, I don’t use my Audio-Workstation to go to the Internet, for that I have Linux Mint, so , yeah, I would fully change for Linux having the opportunity.

Fair, but you are not a hobbyist (by your own accord), which was the segment we were specifically talking about.

Ah… ok, about that specific segment, I do know musicians that have considered Linux (even if they had to use WINE to run proprietary libraries) but they ended losing the interest exactly because of the lack of Linux support for the libraries license dongles.
There are internet music forums full of such complains.

The issue here is why not support Linux?
Obviously I know the answer, its all about “money /profits /investment” correlation but at the same time, this may very well be a false assumption, because if the option were available, the Linux quota of musicians /users would become much larger and then such assumption would fade away.

Anyway, my main point is, people should not criticize these kind of requests (asking for diversity) based on biased opinions of “quotas” or even worst justifications (like the pro card).
This needs to change and it needs to start somewhere.

Stay safe.

One would have to assume that Steinberg has done their homework in this regard. I can’t imagine they would pass up an opportunity to increase revenue if there was a market for it. But it’s all speculation. I sincerely doubt that such an investment would be made based on the plea from a hand full of forum members.
As you might’ve guessed, Linux support is not very high on my Cubendo wish list. But, if all the audio tools I currently use (or most at least) ran on Linux, I would likely switch myself if there were obvious performance/stability advantages.

1 Like