List editor question

Hey, guys.

I’m running the full license 7.0x and do a fair amount with midi. When I create a midi track, in the inspector pane I point it to the midi input and output desired. Let’s say I’ve assgned both to channel 1 and added some midi events, typically program change and cc.

When I open this midi event in the list editor, one of the columns displayed is Channel. Probably due to copy / paste operations, I find that I have more than one channel value displayed here (in this case 1 and 3), even though it’s in a midi event block residing on a track that’s explicitly pointed to channel 1.

I was wondering if anyone could clear up the confusion I have on this matter.

1. Why is there a channel column allowing a different value when this track has been explicitly set to a specific midi in & out?

2. If the values in the list view channel column differ from the track settings, which one wins - the channel column, or the track setting?

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Firstly, note the nomenclature used in Cubase - the objects on tracks in the Project window are midi Parts. Midi Events are inside the editors.

• The channel assigned to the track determines the output.

• the channel of an event is on is set upon input. The channel the event is received on is what is shown in the info line.

• if you assign a track to “Any” channel the events will be sent out on the channel shown in the info line.
      • Channel assignment is used for a variety of functions, for example in the Score editor they can be used to determine which voice a note appears in for staves in Polyphonic mode.

The MIDI channels you see inside the Editor are the channels of the notes when they were entered (either by step entry or by recording). In other words, if the MIDI track was set to ch #1, the notes would be entered as ch #1. If you then change the MIDI channel on the MIDI track to, say, ch #2, it will indeed transmit those notes on channel #2, but they remain written as ch #1.
Think of it this way… the Channel setting on the MIDI track serves two purposes…

1. It determines the channel on which the MIDI notes (and CC#s etc.) will get entered (including the setting, “Any”, which will preserve the incoming MIDI channel(s)… for example, if you are feeding Cubase from an external multichannel MIDI sequencer).
  2. It also determines the channel on which the entered notes will get retransmitted (and, once again, “Any” means that they will get transmitted exactly as entered).

EDIT; Steve got in there first! :smiley:

:mrgreen: mu hu hah hah hah!

Thanks to you both.

So:

If the track is set to a specific channel, the channel column of a given midi event is ignored and its data is transmitted on the track channel.

If the track channel is set to Any, the channel column of a given midi event is honored and its data is transmitted on the event’s specified channel.

Is my understanding correct?

Yep.

And you’re first again. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Well I learned much of what I know about Cubase midi stuff from Vic’s posts in the forums, going back to what, 2004? :slight_smile:

(I was already a Cubase “veteran” in 2004 :blush:. My first forum posts were written in Latin :stuck_out_tongue: )

Of course, rumor has it that Rome fell in large part because they had to speak Latin. :slight_smile:

It is even a miracle they did as well as they did… just imagine having to rush to the dictionary/grammar five times in order to understand that your mum is telling you your dinner is ready :stuck_out_tongue:.

Actually Rome fell because they used Logic Pro.