List of Keyboard Shortcuts and other things

Hi!
In ordner to learn how Dorico works and to be faster with the keyboard I made myself a printable key command cheat-sheet. I used Derrek’s excel-files as template and sorted the commands by category + added new commands from v1.1. Thank you @Derrek for sharing these files!

You can get it here, if you like:
PDF (4 pages): https://github.com/bbelius/notation/raw/master/Dorico/Dorico-CheatSheet.pdf
Docx: https://github.com/bbelius/notation/raw/master/Dorico/Dorico-CheatSheet.docx
Markdown: notation/Dorico-CheatSheet.md at master · bbelius/notation · GitHub

Feel free to use and modify!

Thank you, this is great!

Fantastic! A great help and it looks great too.

Thanks, th3ben!

Bob

I see you used markdown and git. Using pandoc it should be simple to implement a typesetting mechanic to produce a collaborative and always up-to-date cheatsheet. I’ll see what I can do with it. If I’d be successful I’ll do a pull request. Is that ok with you?

Yes, feel free to do a pull request. I like the idea of collaborating.
Pandoc is new to me, but it looks fine.
Thank you!

Talking of key commands, here are some suggestions:

It would be nice with an additional KC for accidentals: Toggle flat/sharp (which eg. would change a Bb to a A#)
It would be nice if “Shorten Duration” would be displayed with some additional info (explaining how much the duration would be shortened by).
It would be nice with an additional KC for stems: Toggle Stem Direction.
It would ne nice with additional info about all vague key commands, actually, like “Add Change to 1”.
There’s also a case of a KC which isn’t displayed in it’s full length (see attached image).
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.15.02.png

For “Toggle flat/sharp” exists an alternative:
Respell Note Name Above (enharmonic): Alt + =
Respell Note Name Below (enharmonic): Alt + -

Thanks (I actually know about these) – it’s just that it’s simpler to memorise one key command instead of two - especially if you already are used to toggling key commands from another app, because then you don’t have to memorise anything new at all. And in many cases, toggling key commands is all you need. The DAW I’m used to must have almost a hundrer of them, so I’m used to them already… (Dorico has only a handful).

Absolutely agree with you, FlowerPower. Would be great to have just one shortcut for that…

Hi all, is there a list showing the new key commands (and what they do) anywhere ?

There have been many of them in the early days of Dorico… You should find them in this forum, in the first pages (november 2016)
As a matter of fact, they are still accurate, but some new key commands have appeared with some major updates (the y key, for instance). And we users have created our own key commands according to our needs.

Thanks, MarcLarcher! I’ll look at that thread from last year, but I’m particularly interested in key commands that has been added with 2.0 + a list - if it exists - of all the key commands with a description of what each of them do. A such list could serve as a useful way to get an overview of (many of) Dorico’s functions.

Hello!

I’ve just updated the Dorico Cheat-Sheet for Dorico 2.0.
You can get it here:
PDF (6 Pages): https://github.com/bbelius/notation/raw/master/Dorico2/Dorico-CheatSheet.pdf
DOCX: https://github.com/bbelius/notation/raw/master/Dorico2/Dorico-CheatSheet.docx
Markdown: notation/Dorico-CheatSheet.md at master · bbelius/notation · GitHub

I tried to add all new Shortcuts. If there is something missing, let me know :slight_smile:

Best, Ben

Excellent work!!! I am sure this will come in handy.

One small error… page 2, top left, 4th item down… “Move Music to Stuff Above/Below”…

I think it should be Staff… not stuff.

Robby

Hi Ben!
Actually, some things are missing/or are wrong.
In the shift-r popover, you missed the two-notes tremolo \2, \2, \\2 (maybe you did not know it was there, because there is a typo in the Version history…)
In the shift-l popover, for Hyphen in word, alt + - does not produce an hyphen, but a short dash (probably an n-dash) which is too long. I have to input a U+2011 unicode character when I need it — and this character does not exist yet within Academico, so I have to use a font that has it.
In shift-h popover, I noticed that fer is enough for fermata — I use it now all the time. Could be worth mentioning those shorter actions !
In shift-b, you can create bars only with a number now, no need for the +
There seems to be a typo for the bidirectional repeat, it should be :neutral_face:: (and not |:)
In the first page, you should mention the new y key (since 1.2) to input unpitched percussion notes or rests (anywhere) — a lot of people seem to have missed this addition.
Note durations : Numpad + number are not the default keys… I don’t mind since I added them in my shortcuts. Or have they become default too in the meantime?

Thanks a lot for this update, I am confident a lot of our fellow Doricians will benefit from it :slight_smile:

[Edit] I’ll try to translate it into French if I have the time and share it here

[Edit] Now that my translation is advanced, I found many mistakes :-/
In shift-k, it’s not Major keys => $#, but number of # in the Key => $#
The same problem goes with minor keys.
Cmd-0 is for toggle panels, not just hide them.
Shift Cmd n is for notation options
What is alt-enter supposed to do? (Goto Bottom Pane???)

Hi Robby, Hi Marc,

thank you for your feedback! I’ve updated the cheat sheet.

Yes, the numpad-number shortkeys are in the default mapping; at least in the english version of Dorico.
There were (and maybe are) issues with keycommands when using Dorico in other languages. I had a lot of problems until I set Dorico to english.

In the cheat sheet I use the $ as a placeholder for any valid number. To avoid confusion I’ve added a note on top of the cheat-sheet.

Best, Ben

Dear Ben,

I’ve kept the $ thing, as I think it’s perfectly understandable. I have modified the keys accordingly to our french keyboards and added some tokens and some new shortcuts, for my fellow french-speaking Doricians ! I hope you won’t mind :wink:
Dorico – liste des raccourcis.pdf.zip (204 KB)
Marc
Dorico – liste des raccourcis.docx.zip (28.4 KB)

Feel free to modify and share! I am glad if helps someone :slight_smile:

Your PDF looks good, but if I open you docx file everything is messed up. What word-processor did you use to modify it?

Oh I’m sorry about that! I used pages — I don’t have any Microsoft app on my mac, I use XeLaTeX for almost all my text editing… And I suppose pages export to docx is not good enough! I delete the file.
Thanks for your work on the list and for your feedback!!!

Hi Ben et Marc Larcher,
Thank you ;
merci à tous les deux !
TJP