Little glyph thing in the Flows Panel

Dear devs,
I noticed that I could not write º (the abbreviation correct for Nº, as opposed as N° where I’m using the temperature symbol) in the flow panel, and since the markings we input in the flow panel are copied into the information window as flow titles, I have to correct that glyph to make it look perfect in the scores. I can input º by pressing alt-u in my French keyboard layout, it would be alt-0 on an English one (and it does not work either in flow panel). Do you think this is something that could be possible to add in a future version of Dorico?

Marc, I’m just curious, there’s a dedicated glyph for that abbreviation, № (U+2116, called Numero sign). Why don’t you use that one?

I don’t have a solution for the input problem, except for the vague guess that there might be a conflicting keyboard shortcut. What happens if you press Alt+U?

You can at least copy and paste the glyph, can’t you?

Dear Florian,
I don’t know about U+2116, the one I use is a real o superscript which is correct for my use, following the french typography rules.
If I press alt-u (or alt-0 with English layout) in the Fliw panel, nothing happens.

I guess U+2116 is just a ‘ligature’ of N and the superscript o. In some fonts the N assumes a fancy, somewhat script-like shape.
You hardly ever see it.

At least U+2116 works in the Flow panel. I might simply end up using this. Thanks Florian!

This º issue appears to have been remedied for the Flows panel in 4.0. But it persists for me in Properties. When for example I try to edit a tempo marking to say “Tempo Iº”, Dorico exits the field.

A little adventure …

I went into Key Commands to look for a conflict. When I propose Option-0 for a command the dialog says only “Key sequence already assigned to UI >”. I then searched the keycommands_en.json file in the application package and found Alt+0 is assigned to “UI.SetFocus?Value=kScoreView”.

Now I see what it does: It finishes text entry in Properties and returns you to the score without you having to click – which is of course very useful. But that command is not exposed in the Key Commands dialog, so I can’t reassign it there.

So I carefully added an item to my own keycommands_en.json file (with correct delimiters):
"UI.SetFocus?Value=kScoreView" : [ "Ctrl+Return", "DELETE:Alt+0" ]
Et voilà, it works! I can type my º, and return to the score with my chosen keyboard command.

So I’ve solved this for myself, and I just wanted to provide this info for others.

3 Likes