Logic and Dorico workflow?

Just out of curiosity after having seen the way Allan Silvestri uses cubase and Dorico; is there anyone who uses logic in combination with Dorico? And how for example would you do things like importing a logic marker or tempo track in Dorico?

A quick test of exporting a midi file from Logic and importing it into Dorico as a Tempo Track shows that tempo changes and markers are brought in.

Logic also exports XML.

Thanks. I knew about the xml but not that midi would import tempo and markers. Good to know.

I employ the Logic/Dorico combination as well, I could never get myself to work with Cubase…

The import is still flawed:
When exporting Logic Midi into Dorico, not all tempo markings got transfered.
When exporting Logic XML the import in Dorico turned out to be a complete mess.
But when I opened & re-exported the XML file into Sibelius 8.5 and THEN imported into Dorico it all turned out perfectly fine!

I still have to find the optimal way of sharing notation data between Logic & Dorico, though…

Hi,

Have anyone solved this yet? I tried to import simple Logic exported midi files to Dorico. Result: playback doesn’t work and often Dorico crashes completely.

Can you supply an example MIDI file? It works for me, in my limited scope.

Welcome to the forum, Tero, and I’m sorry to hear you’re having a bad experience. Further to Ben’s recommendation, if you could please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report from within Dorico and attach the resulting zip file (saved to your desktop) to a reply here, I’ll be able to look at the crash reports and see why Dorico is crashing.

Working complete in cubase these days, I was able to create a score in Dorico by dragging the regions from cubase into Dorico directly and it works good. Very important is to drag the midi regions in the Dorico Play section and exactly on the correct bars and not randomly on the instrument tracks.

That’s nice you can drag the regions from Cubase!

I just tried with LogicPro…doesn’t work. Somehow Dorico doesn’t like the format of a region being dragged from LogicPro. I notice that when I try to drag LogicPro midi regions to the desktop it also doesn’t save a midi file, it tries to safe an AIF file, which is bogus…so this could be a quirk in LogicPro, I’m not sure. AIF can be used as a wrapper around midi files technically speaking.

I did manage to export a region from LogicPro to a midi file on the desktop, and then I CAN drag that midi file from the desktop onto Dorico Play grid and have the music copied in.

This is something I would really like to see developed a little better since I regularly use LogicPro and other midi programs to develop musical ideas and would love to easily be able to drag phrases and bits of music into Dorico bit by bit, rather then having to finish the whole project and export it as midi and import it as midi, etc…

When I tried, I was unable to drag anything from Logic to another application. Dorico receives incoming MIDI ‘drags’ perfectly well: Logic doesn’t initiate a drag correctly.

You can drag them from logic to the desktop. But they are registered as aif files. I’m not trying to point blame one place or the other just saying it doesn’t work

I’m definitely blaming Logic. :wink:

Yes. No problems with cubase.

With due respect can you please point us to the programming sdk’s you feel apple is not using and that Steinberg is? We don’t know really the innard programming reasons why they can’t work together or whether it’s still not possible for Steinberg to make it work somehow. What we know is that it doesn’t work. As I said to begin with this very well could be a logicpro quirk but I’m not assuming either way because I know nothing about the programming implemtetion of either party. I can only make the observation that it doesn’t work.

What I do know is that logicpro bundles their apple midi loops into AIF files. When you drag a midi region in logic to the loops pane it ends up saving an AIF file. AIF files are actually not files, they are bundles with files inside. They can be mixed with midi and audio.

When you drag a logicpro region to the desktop it will be saved as an AIF bundle. When you drag this region to dorico you get nothing, the + sign disappears as you are hovering over dorico. I should try to drag to cubase to see what happens. But anyway it’s quite possible that these other programs simply don’t recognize the type of data being dragged, which is perhaps an AIF multimedia kind of thing rather then raw midi; and it very well might be that is the official way to do it in Apple, but apple is the only one doing it. Or it might not be. We don’t really know but what I can say is that logic can drag and drop to the desktop so it is initiating SOMETHING correctly according to apple; which is obviously not compatible with the way dorico is setup. I don’t care who is right or wrong. It doesn’t work today.

Obviously nobody here has the source code to Logic, and doubtful a SDK inventory would prove the point anyhow. Regardless Apple’s programming philosophy (as with their design in general) is that they always know what’s best. Logic is certainly used by professionals but it’s frankly more tilted towards non pros, and certainly it’s clear they don’t have much interest in interoperable with other DAW’s like Dorico.

Basically I think Benwiggy is saying it’s an Apple attitude, which as a long term developer in Apple and Windows I agree, that company goes it’s own way to the bitter end (which is why I’ve transitioned off Mac’s forever finally.)

OT: on interop with Apple, I found it hit or miss as others have found. I tried doing a IAC bus connection, but was stymied by Logic’s internal architecture which has one single master MIDI port, meaning you can only break apart the MIDI into 16 channels.

I went to Cubase with zero regrets.

An application has to define an object as draggable, and configure the data type that is passed to the receiving application (which has to be configured to receive drags).

Dorico is set up to receive MIDI data that is passed to the draggingPasteboard.

The problem is that Logic doesn’t supply MIDI data as drag objects: it produces audio data from the track’s sample instrument.

No comment about apple attitude, I have my own set of grievances against them also.

In terms of integration between logicpro and Dorico, the subject of this thread by the way, what we can say is that you cannot drag and drop regions into dorico.

No logic is probably dragging and presenting multimedia data, which might have either midi or audio or both.

UPDATE - correction, CAF files are what I was thinking of earlier that are multimedia…AIF files are audio…so I agree with benwiggy now, LogicPro is mucking up that data when you drag midi regions outside of LogicPro… makes no sense that a midi region would be saved on the desktop as an AIF file.

If Logic were sending multiple data types to the DragPasteboard, then Dorico (or other app) could pick up whichever data type they wanted.

Logic doesn’t supply MIDI data in a drag. There’s no room for doubt.

@DanMcL I’m confused by your IAC challenges. Logic can certainly identify each IAC port separately so it’s definitely possible to direct midi to more then 16 Channels over IAC. Dorico, I would think, should also see each of those IAC ports as separate virtual midi inputs with 16 channels each, as does cubase. Sounds like you’ve moved on to cubase anyway but we could probably get that sorted out