Logical Editors: Show us what you got!

Hello folks,

This is kind of a “poll”.
My students have a hard time realizing that the Logical Editors are amazingly useful. So I’m on a crusade to find cool applications for them.
I’ve mostly shown them Logical Editor for massive MIDI editing, track organization, the usual stuff.

My question to you is:

What are the coolest, most helpful applications of Logical Editor and Project Logical Editor, that you have come up with?

Here is a neat example: Lane activation for Multitrack Drum Comping

Thank you friends!

Heres’s an idea.

Perhaps set them the task of coming up with cool uses of the logical and project logical editors themselves. See how many they can come up with.

If they cannot see the logic of using the editors or learn to use them perhaps they are just not on that page yet.

This is one of the few things in Cubase I have never been able to figure out. It is true I have not invested much time in it.:slight_smile:
I went from Logic 5 Platinum to Cubase SX 1 then 2 and 3. I never could understand it.

The way I learned, and still much to learn, is to open a Cubase LE factory preset and see how it’s written. “Showing us what you got” is such a wide open question because LE/PLE really depends on what you want to achieve. For example, attached is several dozen midi editing/emphasizing of beats and transposing categorized in measures, courtesy of Jono. But this is just 1 very small area, and editing this way may be useless to you.

Maybe you want any track name with the letters that include “.aud” to be colored green? Who knows…

Maybe you need a correction patch? I have a defective keyboard controller that generates random midi values every time you press the sustain pedal. The proper function would be either 0 or 127 for sustain either on or off. So, since the controller is out of warranty, I created a LE preset where I go into the Cubase Key Editor showing all the random sustain points and with the LE preset I created, it deletes any values that are not 0 or 127…problem solved!
Logical Edit.rar (108 KB)

1 Like

Before these will mean much to students, I think it may be essential to have them study up on some General MIDI primers. Understanding how MIDI breaks down to note-on/note-off events with key velocity, how continuous controllers work, what RPN and NRPN events are, how 12bit and 14bit commands like pitch-bend or bank-change work (combining MSB and LSB). What sysex is. Etc…

Some of my favorite examples, and they are all very simple, yet can save one HOURS of event-by-note mouse-keyboard work:

Insert CC1 event with value equal to note number at the beginning of every selected note. In this case CC1 does expression volume, so as notes go higher they get a little louder, and as they go lower, they get softer.

A very simple example to scale all selected CC events +5.

Here’s one to somewhat ‘humanize’ selected CC1 events. Great for a repetitive note recorded with no, or static dynamics for an instrument that uses CC1 for expression volume (I.E. Garritan Wind and String instruments).

Here’s one to double the tempo of selected events (half the duration and compact the notes on the timeline).

Thank you for this.

Thank Jono! There are lots of presets to wade through and determine what you can’t/can use. But this midi editing area is only a small part of what PLE and LE can do.

Greg Ondo also has sort of a starter type tutorial

A friend of mine is building a video playlist with some Logical Editor and Project logical Editor presets in action.

Share your ideas of what could be done with LE and PLE

I created presets for humanizing velocities, one for kick, one for snare, one for hi-hats and assigned them to buttons on my midi controllers.
I sequence drum tracks with pads in my controllers so now the process for humanizing them is very fast.

Hello Guys,

I found that you can nest LE presets to perform two functions with a single action, like for instance, add the selected tracks to a folder track and then create a group with them. All triggered with a single key command.

Here’s the gist of it:
If you trigger a macro with LE and then within THAT macro you trigger another LE preset, a lot of interesting possibilities open up!