Long Fall

Hello,

How can you put a long fall on the note (see picture). Standard you see a short wavy line.
fall.JPG

You can use the wiggly fall from the Jazz Articulations panel and change its length and angle in Engrave mode.

ok, but what if you need a short fall and a long fall in the same pieces? With engrave mode isn’t it that it changes all the wiggly lines?

No, you can just grab the right-hand end of any fall and adjust it as you like.

Ah, stupid I was on the wrong track, sorry. thnx!

As a feature request, it would be great if there could be a Properties setting to have any modifications to a fall be ignored by the spacing algorithm. Longer falls frequently are notated crossing into the next bar like this, since that’s the way they are played:

Because Dorico includes it in the spacing I get this:

Thanks for considering!

+1 for ornaments (some) to have the ability to cross barlines.

In Tango music there is an “ornament” called arrastre (drag) Tango Techniques for Strings ARRASTRE - YouTube, it is usually written similar to a lift-in, but the lift/gliss line begins often in the previous bar and cross the barline. I’ve made an example using a playing technique in the first system and a line in the second system (see attached), neither of both is for me an optimal solution, the playing technique appearance can not be modified and the lines must be enter once at a time.
So please allow the lift-in ornaments to cross the barline or “create” an arrastre ornament if possible.

Thanks a lot for considering.
Rafael

Arrastre.zip (558 KB)

1 Like

+1 for the possibility for falls to cross the barline!

This topic is 3 years old… maybe there is a solution already? Otherwise, I would like to revive

1 Like

Nothing has changed with this AFAIK. I usually just end up using a gliss and manually moving it. Of course, it’s almost never positioned correctly in both parts and score that way, so I end up switching to Local and making the edits twice.

This one I had just sort of been living with as the workaround isn’t too painful, but I’d still love to be able to have falls cross a barline or beat without destroying the horizontal spacing.

1 Like

@FredGUnn is right. But, instead of a gliss, I find it easier to use a horizontal line attached on the left to the notehead and on the right to a grid position, which I can roughly reposition with shift-alt-left/right and fine tune with the engrave x/y position offsets. (Just a personal choice)

2 Likes