Looking for a vst........

I’m looking for a vst that can provide backing vocals (ooh’s, ahh’s, etc…) in a rock context. I’ve seen a ot of choir vsts, but that’s not really the sound I’m looking for, but maybe there is a choir vst that might have some presets that will suffice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cantor%20vst&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.virsyn.de%2Fen%2FE_Products%2FE_CANTOR%2Fe_cantor.html&ei=W3qbT3HskYkH9dLg5Q4&usg=AFQjCNFdYtdUrlN0UzHLw-U_UiR6nWVl8w

300 euros ; 15 euros just for the manual.

Has anyone here used this?

You might consider Leon, Miriam or Lola - by Vocaloid. Here’s the link for Leon: Zero-G - Professional Sample Libraries and Kontakt Virtual Instruments
You wouldn’t want to use them for lead vocals unless you’re doing experimental stuff - but they may suffice for backups, depending on the song, of course.
With these VSTi, you can type in the words you want sung,the way you want vowels enunciated, and the notes you want in the midi editor - and they’ll sing the phrase. These seem more suited for R&B than rock - but…who knows?
The download version is only $79.–.

Here’s some demos of all three… umm…singers. :slight_smile:

Wasn’t he one of the great Italian classical composers?

Good one! LOL :slight_smile:

To my ears these products sound a bit like ‘singing by Stephen Hawkings’.

That being said; this technology just keeps getting better and better.

I can imagine the day when while using your DAW, you can type in some words (lyrics),
add a melody and use the ‘Frank Sinatra’ or ‘Jimmy Durante’ or ‘Lady Gaga’ vox plug-in.

And the sad part; the typical human ear will not be able to tell the diff.

—future so bright

{‘-’}

Yamaha’s already working on something like that with their “Vocaloid” software.
At the core it’s voice sampling.
Still sounds somewhat robotic, though.

Musician’s christmas gift of the year 2012: Vocaloid Stephen :mrgreen: :laughing:

I can’t recall bad singing or pitch was an issue back in the day? Even the dinosaurs could sing! :laughing:
If you couldn’t sing you practiced, if that didn’t help you played an instrument.
Maybe with the exception of singer/harmonica player Bob Dylan :astonished: :confused: :laughing:
But these days everybody’s obsessed with autotune, melodyne, variaudio or whatever?
Funny thing it goes all the way from tone deaf to otherwise great singers.
What’s up with that?

I think I heard one of my long time favorite singers possibly autotuned some time ago
It was John Wetton of King Crimson/UK fame who sang on a newly released album with Asia.
I never cared much for that band no matter who played there, same goes for the new album.
I thought I’d check it out since somebody said it was good.
Anyways, John Wetton sang unnaturally flawless like he just shouldn’t be able to in this day and age?
At the same time something got lost, like somebody put a safety belt on the vocalist
I mean, c’mon, you don’t autotune John Wetton! :unamused:

Good singing seems to be no longer good enough!

:laughing:

There was a guy who posted here half a year or so ago about Vocaloid, and the whole pop-culture built around that in Japan.

I remember looking into it. Even the demos pretty much were entirely non-believable as solo lines, and really even when used as harmony. IMO, it pretty much sucked. Add to that the fact that it would take another 1/2 lifetime or more for the average slob to learn how to use it half-way decently - I’d rather take singing lessons (or believe I’m Bob Dylan/Tom Petty/Randy Newman all rolled into one - who needs singing lessons - woo-hoooo!! :laughing: :laughing: ) .

But where’s the MIDI input? :confused: :laughing:

I’ll tell ya if ya really wanna know… :wink:!

Mauri.

Oh wait, I remember now!
Also the entire flow of MIDI data through the VST:

The MIDI notes are received through the cornea and processed by the occipital lobe.
The resultant processed MIDI data is then quantized in the temporal lobe.
The processed and quantized MIDI data is then looped back to the temporal lobe (for virtual reproduction of the sound) and then the parietal lobe (for physical reproduction of the sound) for output.

All this with sub-millisecond latency.

However, there are drawbacks to this:

1. The output is only a mono signal.
  2. The resultant sound can be early or late to the beat.

:wink: :laughing:

The biggest problem is the variety in pitch interpretation, 90% of the singers have problems interpreting the incoming midi signal pitch properly.

I have an old Atari ‘Unitor’.

Would something like that help? :slight_smile:

{‘-’}