Looking for an affordable Nuendo control surface

I’m currently working on two radioplays / podcasts in Cubase
So got to looking through the dialogue and ADR tools in
Steinberg Nuendo and WOW

This got me looking for an affordable control surface for Nuendo any suggestions??

Hello. You can look at this.

https://www.thomann.de/se/icon_v1_x.htm

I still love my Softube Console 1 Fader unit for it’s 10 motorized faders and super-slim footprint on the desk, though I find I don’t really use it all that often. It mainly sees use when I’m writing gradual volume automation over time (think ambient audio design for video games). I suppose I’ve just gotten used to doing most mix adjustments with manually writing (mousing) automation in the lanes, or using the mouse-wheel equipped Event (Clip) Gain feature most of the time. I think it would be different story if I were doing more music mixing, but it’s mostly games / post work for me.

I like the Icon V1-M, that’s actually pretty good, I’m trying to downsize my existing Music studio from quite large (control+ 3 tracking rooms) to more media project focused (Radioplay/audiobooks with FX).

My current studio is centred around a Tascam DM 4800 → 2008 Mac Pro → Cubase 5.5, giving a DAW control layer, 32 mic/line, 16 Line I/O, 12 Monito/FX Busses and control room A/B Monitors and was quite cool back in the day. Before any of you laugh at me, I have a very large investment in TC FireWire, Focusrite and UAD plugins and the system is perfectly capable of tracking 32 channels at once and playbacks of in the 80 and 90 audio tracks so I couldn’t see a real reason to upgrade the hardware only to lose the plugin’s.
So now there no money in music, I’m looking to work out the best way forward in moving to a media studio focused Voiceover, Radioplay, audiobooks with FX, low end video post, training videos etc.
Option.1
Mac Studio M2 - Nuendo
UAD Apollo x6
Icon V1-M (or something similar)

Option.2 - Nuendo
i9 PC
Midas M32R / M32 Console (or something similar)
UAD Accelerator

What is “affordable” though?

If you are willing to spend $1k on the Icon I would consider spending another 500 for the Avid s1, especially if you already have a tablet. You have a really great solution with those two using Eucon.

Do you insert the console 1 plugin or do you use it as a generic midi controller?

Console 1 Fader requires plug-in instantiation.

Hi Rod, How well would Console 1 work with Nuendo?? ~ Peter

It’s not as fully-integrated as a native Steinberg / Yamaha piece of hardware might be, but it works great for volume & pan automation, which are the two main things I use it for. There is probably a Mk II on the horizon, as they recently released an update for their other Console 1 controller. Console 1 Fader does have other Softube features built-in that I don’t really use (part of their ecosystem). I just wanted a way to write volume automation with faders, and it does a great job of that, in a very small footprint when compared to an S1, SSL, or any of the other (annoyingly) single-fader choices out there. Perhaps one day Steinberg / Yamaha will come up with a non-Nuage option for us with better integration, but we’ll see if that ever happens. I still wish there was a good surround joystick panner option out there for Nuendo as well.

I have both units and they are ok. It also has a generic midi mode that you can enable by turning off the softube interface and rebooting C1F. But you lose some functionality (e.g. shift button). I agree that it is the best feeling, small footprint fader unit…and it has 10 faders! Would be nice if it could be integrated as in this video with Reaper in generic mode:

The more I look, I keep coming back to the as
OPTION 1:

• Icon Pro Audio V1-M & V1-X Small footprint, BUT No i/o
    I’m still not sure what is the best I/O to get. I am very used to having 20 to 30 channels of synths just plugged in and once you start looking at options that will let you do that it does start to get fairly expensive

OPTION 2:

• Allen & Heath Qu16 - Control surface and 16 in for my Synths
  • Allen & Heath AB168 16-In/8Out Cat-6 Audio Rack (Cat-6 to Vocal Booth)
    I know this seems like a weird option 2, but my live band uses the Allen and Heath QU series as their front of house as our live desk and the keyboard player (me) very often is the tech fall back. So the concept of using this day to day means that when I get into a live situation I feel much more confident in what I’m doing.