Loop Tweaker in Shambles since v8 on Mac

Hi there,
I’m a sound designer/sample lib developer and Wavelab really is the best tool for finding sample loops and has been my go to tool along with keymap for almost ten years, BUT I’ve been having a lot of problems since migrating to the Mac and v8… Frustratingly, the Loop Tweaker in V8-V8.5 is a bit of a mess in osx v10.9.3 and seems quite broken.

Problems I’m having in order of importance:

1- Adding a crossfade and then going back to try another size crossfade does not work anymore, the old crossfade is not removed before the new one is applied, it is just added to it. Sometimes it seems to work, others not. If I hit undo to remove the crossfade the loop point changes I have made are also undone. So at this point no way to audition different crossfades without jumping through a bunch of hoops with temp presets or file saving steps.

2- The auto find function takes FOREVER now. I am on a top spec 2014 iMac and it takes ages for loop tweaker to find points. Sometimes it takes 20sec or so to find a loop point in a 10sec file. My 2006 Xp Pc was lightening fast in this regard, not sure what is going on here…

3- New for version 8.5, the Loop tweaker window has lost its always on top priority and it does not appear to be
dock-able either. So, every time I go back to a new file to edit, it disappears. I have to shrink the main window down and place it next to it. Not ideal as half the real estate is taken up by the overview and file browser/docked windows section.

4- The tabs at the top are buggy, if I hit the crossfade tab it often bounces between the different pages for a few seconds before finally settling on the wrong one.

Other bugs I’ve noticed:

1-disabling a vst plugin in the effects rack sometimes does not disable it, it sometimes still processes audio when it is turned off.

That’s it for the gripes, I might as well tack on my wish list since Keymap is dead and it is only a matter of time before it will no longer work on my system… I know we are only a teeny part of the market but some updated tools for us sample lib developers would be fantastic!

-Full auto loop search mode that searches for good loop start AND end points at the same time.

-make loop tweaker dock-able

-make crossfades adjustable as a set time unit as opposed to always being a percentage of the whole. This is most useful for micro crossfades (2-20ms) which are arguably the most used in my book, especially for synth samples.

-Better pitch shifting, better resampling. I often need to pitch correct samples using the resampling method (length changes, no time stretching) without losing the loop points and Wavelab is the only way for me to do this, only problem is it Aliases like crazy. Basic sample pitch shifting in Cubase is almost completely artifact free so perhaps there is some code that could be borrowed?

-better resampling (crystal resampler update) I used R8brain pro before on the pc but am all alone in the cold on the Mac. Izotope RX resampling is not bad but it would be nice to have it all in Wavelab.

-Some additional batch trimming functionality; For example I will usually set my loop points and then trim a certain amount after the loop end manually, perhaps adding a post loop fade out as well. It would be nice if the “Trim head and tail” section had an additional option to trim a set amount after the loop end marker and before the loop start marker instead of trimming right at the markers. An offset so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

-patchen

Thanks for your detailed report.

1- Adding a crossfade and then going back to try another size crossfade does not work anymore

I can’t reproduce a problem. If you can find a reproducable operation sequence, that would help.

2- The auto find function takes FOREVER now.

I had a look and you’re right. In next patch it will be even faster than in WaveLab 6 :slight_smile:

3- New for version 8.5, the Loop tweaker window has lost its always on top priority and it does not appear to be dock-able either. So, every time I go back to a new file to edit, it disappears.

This issue will be fixed in next patch.

4- The tabs at the top are buggy, if I hit the crossfade tab it often bounces between the different pages

What kind of mouse are you using? Please note that the mouse wheel scrolls the tabs. Could this be the explanation?

Thanks for your suggestion. Considering this one:

Some additional batch trimming functionality

Are you speaking about adding offset options there?..
2014-06-20_08-40-17.png

Wow, Thanks for the quick and direct response PG!

-RE the screenshot you posted, yes that is exactly what I’m speaking of. A selectable offset to the trim at markers function would very useful.

-I’m using an apple magic mouse and it has been a bit glitchy in Wavelab in general so that could be it coupled with my pudgy fingers! Perhaps a few more milliseconds delay before scrolling engages? I dunno, I might be the only one with the problem.

-I report back with how to repro the crossfade issue.

I understand you are pretty much a one man show so thanks for all your hard work! I really would be lost without Wavelab!

Crossfade bug repro steps:

1-open 24bit wave and create loop

2-open loop tweaker and add a long crossfade

3-move mouse back to main display. Stop playback with space bar and move playback curser to new position with mouse, resume playback.

4-change crossfade length

=crossfades are cumulative

As an aside, when this bug is not tripped and crossfades are changing properly the waveform display does not seem to update to show new crossfade results. This is not a huge deal but is somewhat disconcerting.

thanks again,
patchen

It seems that the Apple Magic Mouse has been touchy and different since 8.5 in general, it could be because there isn’t a physical scroll wheel and it’s more like a track pad in design.

The other thing I’ve notice in 8.5, and this is likely a design decision, is that now when I hit cmnd+w to close a file I have been working on the return key no longer defaults to saving the file, you must hit Y instead. This is a minor ergonomic issue but when you are regularly editing hundreds of samples during the course of the day it adds up. Just not quite as comfortable to my fingers but perhaps I’ll get used to it.

There is another bug, this time with the loop tone uniformizer. Using the chorusing mode causes the loop to become nothing but silence. I have not nailed down a repro sequence yet. I will post it if I find it.