Lost Project Data After Update?

I updated Cubasis a couple times in the past and all my project data was saved. This time its not there.

Please advise.

Hi glamourati,

Please let us have more details what you have done actually:

Thanks,
Lars

I clicked the “Update” button in the App store. After the App "updated, " my previous projects were no longer in the Projects list (the multipane list widget) if you are a developer. The expected behavior was for my projects not to get smoked from an update. From an uninstall/delete/fresh install yes, but not from an “Update.” Reproducible? No as there is no way to “re-update” an updated app. You might want to try to reproduce in your QC lab with an older image and then update to the latest. Being a developer, I suspect the inode info is still there but just not linked to the user friendly “filename” and hence not available to the project list widget.

Hi glamourati,

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about your data loss.

So far, we have not experienced lost projects or data on our iPads, when updating Cubasis ourselves either via beta or release versions.
Nonetheless, we highly recommend to create backups on a regular basis, to be protected from data loss at any time.

Cubasis offers many options to backup your files, such as iTunes File Sharing, Dropbox, iCloud Drive, export to external hard drives etc.
Please have a look at the MediaBay chapter in the Cubasis in-app help to learn more about the available options and how to use them.

Best wishes,
Lars

If I back up with iTunes File Sharing by copying the Projects folder to my desktop, can I then copy single projects from the backup back into the Projects folder on the iPad or are you forced to copy the whole Projects folder over the existing one on the iPad?

Hi,

It‘s easily possible to transfer single files and/or single projects back to Cubasis via iTunes File Sharing - also from within your projects backup folder on the computer.

Best,
Lars

Just curious, are you a computer programmer? The reason I ask is what you are saying above sounds like the same process but you are describing it as two different processes or am I missing something?

Hi,

iTunes File Sharing can be used to exchange files between Cubasis and your computer.

In regards to your previous question:
Yes, it is possible to transfer single projects from your project backup folder on the computer back to Cubasis via iTunes File Sharing.

It is also possible to use iTunes File Sharing in many other ways, such as transferring audio files, presets etc. located on your computer to Cubasis on the iPad.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars

Below please find another comment regarding possible data loss when updating apps on the App Store:
As with every Cubasis update, we tested the update to version 2.3.1 on many different iPad models and didn’t experience any issues or data loss.

In general, app updates are performed by iOS, apps cannot update themselves due to iOS sandboxing restrictions.
iOS replaces are updated files of an app and should leave all user files untouched.

However, we know from Apple’s forums that there are rare cases where iOS deletes the user files, which is why we recommend backups.
However, this hasn’t occurred on all of our testing devices for 5 years now, which is why we haven’t been able to analyse the iOS issue.

Best,
Lars