Low latency VST recording in C8 on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7?

Hi guys,

I was a Cubase user from 2001 through to 2010, when I switched to Logic Pro having moved to a Mac.

Logic is fantastic, but there are some features in Cubase that I would find really beneficial - relating to MIDI timing and the way it handles multiple MIDI ports (as I use several external synths in my studio). With recent improvements to performance with ASIO guard and the dual-buffer approach it brings to playback and recording buffers, my reasons not to return to Cubase really are minimal at this point.

I’m currently testing a MacBook Pro (2014) - 2.8GHz i7 quad core, to replace a Mac Pro - providing me with more options for out-of-studio recording. Performance with Logic has been impressive so far on the MacBook. However I’m keen to hear from anyone using Cubase 8 on the same or a similar MacBook Pro, running heavier VSTs such as BFD.

How are you finding latency for realtime recording? Can you record BFD at a low sample buffer (say 32 samples) in realtime with no clicking or audio degradation, when ASIOGUARD 2 is engaged?

My experience of Cubase 7 was that performance was much better than earlier versions, but I still couldn’t get the sample buffer down below 128 samples if I wanted to record a VST in realtime with no audio glitching. Of course with something like BFD, which I trigger from V-Drums, it’s ideal to have a sample buffer of 64 or 32 samples so that there’s absolutely no sense of lag when drumming. (It’s less important, I find, when tracking orchestral VSTs such as Symphobia, or even pianos and other instruments.)

If you are a MacBook Pro user, I’d love to hear about the experience you are having with Cubase 8 - and whether it’s significantly improved over 7 when it comes to low-latency operation.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi guys,

Just bumping this up in the hopes that some MacBook Pro users can share their thoughts.

Cheers,
Mike