Lower Zone. What are people thinking?

When I’m talking about the ‘old’ mixer I mean the one back in Cubase 5 and 6.

That was so much easier and quicker to work with. I hate the constant scrolling I have to do nowadays, up and down, up and down, over and over just to see EQ, sends, inserts, routing, EQ…

Don’t forget that I have been using Steinberg software since Pro 16 on the Commodore 64! :smiley:

Coming from Studio One I feel right at home with it. Made the switch back to Cubase easy.

@Elf- I used Music Studio on my C-64 :slight_smile:

Great Elf! I was also using Steinberg Pro-16 on Commodore 64 in 1984. And I have used Steinberg software since then. :slight_smile:

Ha Ha! I was using an Atari STE with the first version of Cubase and a High Definition black and white monitor. With 8MB of Ram. I later upgraded to an Atari Falcon with a 128 MB hard drive. Those were the days using my Tascam 144 Portastudio. I have been using Cubase ever since.

For the score editor, I find the lower zone perfect. It displays the score so much better than the separate editor window ever did. But for the key editor, completely useless.

I love it. I just finished a project and used it extensively. Big time saver. And, because of tough deadlines, I often mix and edit at the same time and the zone concept is great for that too.

Kimbo72,
Right click the transport area and put a checkmark to add performance meter. The transport controls will shift to the right and be out of the in-between-monitors zone.

As for the lower zone, I like it!

As someone often restricted to laptop work 2 days of use in and I never want to go back. It’s great. Look forward to seeing how it develops over future updates.

For my workflow it’s a no-starter. I’d much rather save the screen space for arrangements and F3 the full mixer when needed. This docked “zone” thing is how I prefer to work in Wavelab, but here it just doesn’t fit my way of thinking = leads to a lot of excessive clicking. I’m glad that we can still float the edit windows.

r,
j,

For me it is a cool feature.

I have always used Workspaces and set up the Mix workspace exactly like it display in Regions, so not having to switch workspaces as often is quite convenient.

Cheers

Lower zone is an essential part of the definitely better workflow I got with Cubase 9.

I like the whole idea of the fixed Workspace in Cubase 9 and Lower Zone is a part of that.

As far as the lower zone, I might use it for an occasional quick midi edit or something… for detailed MIDI editing, I prefer the full screen editor. I will probably never use the lower zone for the mixer either… I prefer the full mixer with inserts open, etc.

I save mixing for last so I turned off the lower zone. To me it was a waste of engineering time spent.

I would use the lower zone mixconsole if the mixconsole had all the features available in the regular mixconsole but it doesn’t… so I don’t.

I thought using it for the midi editor was going to be useful but, for me using one monitor, it is a workspace killer. So I won’t use it for that either.

I do use the lower transport bar (technically not in the lower zone) instead of the floating transport panel. That allows me to spread out the regular mixconsole to full screen width to match the project window.

So, bottom line for me is that I probably will not use the lower zone for anything until they change a few things a bit.

Regards. :sunglasses:

+1

IMO, Any feature that can be disabled is a good thing.
That said, I love the lower zone.

Yes, The LZMx is limited but for quick access to sub groups or whatever you have set up…and quick editing etc…plust the fact you can zoom independently in each zone, It’s fantastic.
Add to that the transport bar and it’s one of the best additions to Cubase.

:nerd:

I absolutely hate the lower lane, I tried but everything was just too small. I know I am only on a 24" monitor but I found the MIDI editor particularly unusable.

If it was a vertical split (side by side), do you think it would be more useable? I made a feature request for this here.

Yes, that does seem a much better idea, especially on a wide screen monitor.

I didn’t explore further as I got frustrated with it. Is it possible to get the sampler to pop up in a window or is it only available in the lower zone?