lyrics questions

Learning by trying to make a lead and harmony line for church music for someone.

I’m done except:

1. If I have and SATB arrangement or even 1 harmony but the lyrics are associated with the lead vocal line. How can I associate the lyric with the harmony lines so that I can print the parts with lyrics on the harmony score parts?
  2. As an alternative format… in repetitive music (like church music) is there a way in Dorico to have just say Verse 1 lyrics under the notes in the score but have all other similar verses at the end of the score in stanza text format for each verse. I"ve seen this a lot in scores.

If I have undestand…

1. If SATB Choir have same rhitmycs in any sectio
    select all, and chosse filter>text
    Select First note and paste

2.you can create a frame text in engrave mode, and insert your words

Number 2 is something I’ll look into thankyou.

Number 1 is not exactly what I mean. So if I have lyrics on the melody line in a master score is there a way to have those lyrics just that once in the master score but when I print individual harmony parts that the lyrics also get printed with them… as opposed to having 4 sets of lyrics (SATB) on the master score

At the moment, not really, but when condensing is tweaked it may be easier to do this.

You print individual parts for singers? :open_mouth:

I think you probably have to use separate Players for the part layouts, duplicating the music from the reduction in the Score Layout.

I actually read an interesting article not too long ago with a choir director who does this even with complicated polyphony. His argument was that this is how it works for every other instrument than the human voice and that it forced his choristers to concentrate and listen more, so they better understood (at least aurally) how their part fit in to the texture.

Ok
You can duplicate flow with lyrycs only in one voice, in the new flow Copy the lyrics for other voices.

This Is the first idea…

His argument was that this is how it works for every other instrument than the human voice and that it forced his choristers to concentrate and listen more, so they better understood (at least aurally) how their part fit in to the texture.

Ridiculous narcism.

Anyone who has sung Missa Glagolitica by Leoš Janáček knows the fallacy of that nonsense. How many hours are wasted because the singers cannot put their parts in context knowing when they are in harmony or discord with other parts? It’s most definitely not the same as putting a finger on a place on a fingerboard when playing a cello.

Nowadays, I would reject a piece out of hand unless the arranger or publisher could provide my singers with rehearsal parts that made sense with cues and harmony as necessary.

I assume you mean narcissism. Maybe dial things back a bit? Relax, take a vacation, pet a cat? :wink:

I was being polite, thank you. Next time, I’ll say what I really think about such crap.