M-Audio Oxygen MIDI input stops working

Please read the first lines carefully before taking guesses, it saves us all a lot of time:

System: Cubase 12 PC/WIN 11
Hardware: M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61

This is not about generic remote device / MIDI remote configuration. I just give my configurations, but it has nothing to do with CC mapping setup.

In Cubase 11 I had a mackie and a generic remote device setup for the two modes of the oxygen.

In Cubase 12 now the generic remote ist gone. I can setup a MIDI remote, if I want to configure any sliders or pans. But I don’t need them for now so I deleted all my MIDI remote configuration.

When I start/restart my computer and start up Cubase 12, midi input works as expected.
This is my config

Everything seems correct, but after some time, MIDI input stops working, there’s no data coming in anywhere. Restarting Cubase also doesn’t help, so one could suspect a driver crashing or something.
But: Cubase 11 never did this and still doesn’t, I loaded it up and let it run for 3 hours, everything still fine, Cubase 12 works for a while, after varying different amounts of time it stops reading MIDI input, but a safe thing is to wait for about 15-20 minutes not touching anything (all power save options are disabled) and MIDI input won’t come back until complete system restart.

Just to be clear, again, I’m talking about playing notes. At this point I’m not interested in CC data or anything that needs configuration and mapping, just good old plain pressing keys for music data action going on.

Anyone else experiencing this and maybe have found a way around?

1 Like

I can’t believe no one answer you.
No, this isn’t the correct setup - go back and look at the picture. You have to duplicate that exactly. This is a midi patch job and it’s short but not simple.
So you’re going to get cross signals this way.
Also after you get the midi working, there are several settings on the keyboard and in the DAW that are show stoppers. I posted them here along with a fuller answer:

HELP: Cubase 11 and M-Audio Oxygen 61 MK4 Problems - Cubase - Steinberg Forums, (NO LINKS ALLOWED) help-cubase-11-and-m-audio-oxygen-61-mk4-problems/799836/20

I have a similar issue! I have encountered the same problem in Cubase and Sibelius. When I am using one of the above software open and I leave the keyboard untouched for a while (Not sure how long exactly) to go for a break, it will sort of “deactivate”. And when I come back and want to use it, the software does not detect signals from the keyboard when I press the keys.

However, the lights (LED) on the keyboard look normal, and both the software (Cubase and Sibelius) detects the keyboard in the setup/preference/Input device. It just did not work. The only solution I found to this is to switch the keyboard off by using the button behind the keyboard and switch it on again.

Here I guess it deactivates a certain amount of time. Is there anything I can do about this? I am sure that it is not a driver or software problem as I already have the latest version and it works when I switch it on and off.