M1 mac mini

Hi!
Was wondering if someone is running M1 mac mini 16gb and 512 Gt?
How it handles and how big projects?

I ask because I plan to update my current home studio computer and am wondering if Mac Studio is the choice or is M1 mini enough? I don’t mix final tv shows at home but fx and dialog editing and premixing is the thing. (and music as hobbyist)

At home I have a base M1 Mac Mini with 8gb of ram and 256 hd. It opens sessions from from my studio where I have an i7 windows 10 machine with 32 gbs of ram with no problem. Most of my sessions are less than 100 tracks but I do use lots of processing. I couldn’t believe how well it works. I kept it on Big Sur and am running in Rosetta mode.

For the first time in over 30 years, I’m switching my studio over to a Mac once the Mac Studios are int the field for a bit.

1 Like

I’ve loaded Cubase 12 Pro on my M1 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and wow, it is very snappy running native (not Rosetta). Only issue is that no Rosetta plugins will work if Cubase is running native, and if you use other plugins that still use the dongle, well, you still need the dongle, lol. This is the first time I’ve ever loaded Cubase on MacOS (I’ve always used Windows) and it’s pretty impressive. I have no plans for doing production work on this laptop, as I was just testing compatibility and aesthetics more than performance.

“no Rosetta plugins will work if Cubase is running native, and if you use other plugins that still use the dongle, well, you still need the dongle”

Just to clarify, are you talking about Steinberg plugins or other manufacturers plugins? I don’t quite get what you are saying. How I understand this is that plugins that need SB dongle, don’t work?

Br Tumppi

There are two things here:

First, the Apple silicon thing. If you are running Cubase native on Apple silicon, then you can not load any plugin in Cubase that is not able to run native on Apple silicon. In other words, if you have a plugin that can not run native on Apple silicon (i.e. a lot of NI plugins, etc), then you should run Cubase in Rosetta so that those plugins will continue to work for you.

Second, the dongle. As long as you leave the dongle plugged in (even if Cubase doesn’t need it) your plugins that still need it (i.e., Halion 6, Absolute, VSO, etc.) will continue to work if the conditions above in the first paragraph are met.

Ok, thanks.

iLok 5.5 has been released with apple silicon compatibility.
Now many 3rd parties can finally release their plugins that use it as a copy protection.